FC Cincinnati SG student tickets

The University of Cincinnati Student Government (SG) has partnered with FC Cincinnati to roll out discounted student tickets to fall home games.

FC Cincinnati has partnered with the University of Cincinnati Student Government (SG) to offer discounted tickets for fall home games to college students.

The partnership comes after SG President Chandler Rankin and Vice President Abbie Smith formed a campaign promise for the discount to fulfill many students’ desire for cheaper tickets.

“We saw this as a unique opportunity for SG to ensure that students still had access to affordable options if and when they attend a game this fall semester,” Rankin said. “We worked with the club to negotiate a student ticket rate, as well as a semester pass, and we’re extremely excited as we roll out these options for the student body.”

Tickets will be available to students at the rate of $12.50 each for any of the club's four matches at Nippert Stadium in September, SG announced in an Aug. 12 Twitter post. The four matches will be the club’s final home games of the regular season: Sept. 7 versus Toronto FC, Sept. 18 versus Atlanta United FC, Sept. 21 versus Chicago Fire and Sept. 29 versus Orlando City SC.

A semester pass that provides access to all four games is available for $44.

All student tickets must be purchased online and picked up in person at the FC Cincinnati ticket office or the auxiliary ticket location outside the Campus Recreation Center with a valid student ID. The semester-long pass must be ordered over the phone, and no print-at-home or mobile tickets will be available.

The idea of student discount tickets originated in a January focus group that Rankin and Smith held in preparation for their campaign, where students expressed their interest in the task and club.

“While not everyone is a soccer fan, and this may not have significance to them, we know that there are a good portion of students who will take advantage of this, and we thought it was well worth our time to spearhead this initiative,” Rankin added.

Despite sitting in last place of the Eastern Conference with 18 points, FC Cincinnati is averaging the third-highest attendance in its inaugural season in the MLS with an average of 27,657 fans per match. FC Cincinnati is approaching its four-year anniversary since beginning play at Nippert Stadium. 

“I think it’s a great idea,” second-year business and finance student Satkeerat Ghuman said. “It makes it easier for students to get more involved in the FCC community and discounts are clutch in the life of a student.” 

“We look forward to seeing how many students this impacts, and we hope it sets a prime example for the influence of the student voice,” Rankin said.

Students can visit FCCincinnati.com/groupportal and enter the code ’STUDENT19’ to receive the discount.