Bird scooter (copy)

Bird scooters have appeared at UC on Tuesday, Sept. 4, 2018.

If you use Bird scooters to navigate Cincinnati, be prepared to pay more.

Bird Rides, Inc. is now charging users $1 plus 29 cents per minute to ride its app-controlled electric scooters in the Queen City. That’s nearly double the previous per-minute rate of 15 cents per minute.

The company has modified its prices for markets across the nation, abandoning the previous fixed rate of $1 plus 15 cents per minute. In some markets, the price has more than doubled.

“Similar to ride-hailing, Big Macs, and cups of coffee, our pricing now varies by city,” a Bird spokesperson said in an email. “The price for our environmentally friendly scooters has been updated to range from 10 cents to 33 cents per minute.”

Neutron Holdings, Inc., commonly known as “Lime” — Bird’s only competitor at the University of Cincinnati’s Uptown campus — has not announced any change in its prices, which currently sit at a fixed rate of $1 plus 15 cents per minute.

Bird scooters arrived in Cincinnati last summer, and Lime scooters began appearing in September. From August to March, 69,000 people took 305,000 rides on Bird and Lime electric scooters in Cincinnati, according to statistics released by the city.

Roughly 85 percent of riders use the scooters for transportation, while 15 percent use them for recreation, according to city administration.

Multimedia Director

Mitchell Parton has been with The News Record since January 2018 as chief reporter, news editor, multimedia editor, and multimedia director. He is also a digital media intern at Cincinnati Magazine and has interned with the Cincinnati Symphony Orchestra.