Siddall and Calhoun Halls

A fire in Calhoun Hall occurred on the fifth floor Tuesday evening due to a malfunction while charging a battery-operated skateboard. Calhoun Hall houses 815 students on 12 floors.

The Cincinnati Fire Department responded to the residence hall around 10:15 p.m. UC officials say the fire was put out by around 10:36 p.m.

One resident was in the room when the fire began, but managed to get out. No injuries occurred.

"Fortunately the sprinkler system was keeping the fire in check and the majority of the damage was from the water," said District Fire Chief Loius Arnold.

According to fire officials, the fire caused $20,000 in damage, mostly from water damage that also leaked down to the fourth floor. UC will be giving the affected students alternative housing.

Features Editor

David Rees, features editor, has been with The News Record since Sept. 2018 and previously served as chief reporter. Rees covers profiles and features on topics such as sustainability and LGBTQ activism.