Demonstration

Demonstrators gather to protest Samuel DuBose's death Sunday evening.

Protesters that gathered Sunday evening at the University of Cincinnati Police Department called for the arrest of UCPD Police Officer Ray Tensing.

Demonstrators also asked officials to release Tensing’s body camera footage, which recorded his traffic stop and alleged shooting death of 43-year-old Samuel DuBose on July 19.

Tensing reportedly pulled over DuBose for not having a required front license plate.

“It rained that day, last Sunday,” said Kita Johnson, DuBose's sister. “And that’s why it’s raining today.” 

Black Lives Matter, an organization created after the officer-involved shooting death of Trayvon Martin in 2012, organized the rally and led chants such as “fired up, can’t take it no more.”

Hundreds of demonstrators marched from campus to the intersection where DuBose was killed.

“There is an inequity that exists in this country,” said Eric Ellis, CEO of Integrity Development, a business management consulting company. “I’m here to watch people that have become actively engaged. [Demonstrating] is a part of our American history.”

During the rally, Black Lives Matter handed out flyers that listed their demands.

In addition to Tensing’s arrest and indictment and the release of body camera video footage, the group wants UCPD to cover DuBose’s funeral costs and stresses media must “cease using criminal records as a tool to defame and rouse public opinion in favor of the police.”

As the rally reached the intersection of Rice and Valencia streets, Dubose’s family members walked through the crowd and thanked participants for attending the demonstration. 

On the way back to campus, a Black Lives Matter marshal conducted a die-in at the intersection of Vine and East McMillan streets, a form of protest in which participants lie on the ground to evoke the image of dead bodies.

Some of the protesters that reached UCPD at Three Edwards Center pounded on the windows.

Despite heavy rain, a group of 50 demonstrators continued to chant around campus.

UC President Santa Ono announced Friday that UCPD officers will be limited to patrolling on-campus locations.

The Enquirer, along with the Associated Press and local stations WCPO, WXIX and WKRC filed a lawsuit against Deters Friday, calling for the public release of Tensing's body camera footage. 

William Andrews, DuBose’s cousin, commented on UCPD's limits and use of body cameras.

“Not all UC Officers are bad,” Andrews said. “They’re using the cameras, but being off campus is a bit much. [Sam] was a loving person, he thought we were beyond all this."