Portrait_2_Carpenter.jpg

Anti-abortion group Created Equal stages a demonstration at the University of Cincinnati Thursday, Sept. 16, 2021 attracting a crowd of onlookers, advocates and critics.

As the debate over abortion laws continues to remain a hot topic across the country, groups in Cincinnati are taking to the streets to express their opinions.

Organizations on both sides of the issue are protesting in representation of their beliefs.

Cincinnati Socialists will be hosting a “Rally for Reproductive Freedom” on Saturday, Oct. 2, from 3 p.m. to 5 p.m. The event is set to take place at the Hamilton County Courthouse.

The group has displayed their flyers in buildings across the University of Cincinnati (UC) uptown campus to advertise the upcoming rally.

More information for the upcoming rally is available on the organization’s Facebook page.

The Cincinnati Socialists is an independent revolutionary Marxist group based in Cincinnati, Ohio. 

The group promotes “the power of the workers and oppressed in our workplaces, homes, schools, and the streets” as well as “working in coalition with any group or organization fighting for the emancipation of humankind,” according to their website.

The traditional texts of Karl Marx and Friedrich Engels are cited as the guide for the organization's mission, according to their website. 

Ben Jarvis of the Cincinnati Socialists was unavailable for comment. 

Created Equal, a pro-life organization, has also been vocal about its stance on abortions. The group recently hosted a rally on UC’s campus to express their disapproval of abortions. 

The activist group goes on “Justice Rides” together in order “to create informed public debate about abortion,” according to their website.

On Sept. 17, Created Equal set up a display in front of Tangeman University Center at UC to advocate for the unborn by displaying graphic images and signs. 

According to an Instagram post by the group, this effort “despite having dozens of students gather to protest us, 10 people changed their minds on abortion.”

The organization is unaffiliated with the university and does not have any student members involved with their group. 

“We travel to campuses nationwide. UC is one of many schools we are visiting this fall. We are not affiliated with the university. Our right to create public dialogue on the campus is guaranteed by the First Amendment of the US Constitution,” said Seth Drayer, the Vice President of Created Equal.

The group’s purpose is to create an informed debate on abortions, according to Drayer.

Created Equal’s rally was not in direct opposition to the Cincinnati Socialists, however, Drayer did say his group engages students in “philosophical debates.” 

Drayer acknowledges the “constructive dialogue” Created Equal has with the community, specifically during their event at UC. “All could see that the pro-choice crowd openly rejects human equality while pro-life people advance it,” said Drayer.