Skin care

Between studying for classes and preparing for midterms, a skincare routine might be the last thing on students’ minds. Starting a skincare routine can add structure to your schedule while also treating your skin for stress, clogged pores, acne, dullness and age lines.

Skincare may seem like it only consists of overpriced luxury products you see in advertisements, but this list will help you find products that not only work, but are affordable on a college budget.

Cleanser:

The biggest part of your skincare routine should include a cleaner, according to Dr. Charles Zugerman, associate clinical professor of dermatology at Northwestern University. A quality cleanser can help remove bacteria, dirt and makeup from your face and pores. It can also help prepare your skin for the rest of your routine.

Try: Biore Blemish Fighting ICE Cleanser ($6.49 on Amazon) to help remove dirt and oil and clear acne. Great for all skin types. If you have sensitive skin, try Cetaphil Gentle Skin Cleanser ($7.00 at Target) to combat irritating symptoms.

Sunscreen:

Even during the winter, the sun can damage your skin cells. Using sunscreen can help prevent spots, skin aging and skin cancer. By adding sunscreen to your routine, you can combat these threats and moisturize your skin.

Try: Neutrogena sunscreen for any situation. From sports to your makeup routine, Neutrogena has a sunscreen for anyone. (Prices vary; roughly $9 depending on product).

Toners:

Toners can help remove excess makeup, wipe away oils, balance your pH, hydrate, fight acne, help with your skin’s texture and aid discoloration.

Try: Thayers Natural Remedies offers toners for every skin type, and its products come in several scents — from rose petals to coconut to unscented. ($3.39 on Kroger Ship)

Face Masks:

The Discover Good Nutrition website explains why face masks are a great addition to a skincare routine. They offer a detoxifying cleanser, remove dead skin cells and can be mixed and matched to help treat your skin for practically any situation.

Try: The Sephora Collection ($6 at stores or online). Face masks aren’t an everyday necessity, but they’re great for a “treat yourself” moment.

Now that you have this information, don’t forget to do your own research. Everyone’s skin is different, so just because a product works for one person doesn’t mean it will work for you — and vice versa.

Be sure to verify whether you’re allergic to certain skincare ingredients, and check product labels for common irritants. Also, make sure to find out whether your skin type is oily, dry or combination to learn which products are best suited for you.