UC Career Fair 2019

UC's Spring Career Fair will take place Feb. 13-15, 2019 in UC’s Campus Recreation Center.

Every spring and fall, the University of Cincinnati hosts its annual spring career fair in the Campus Recreation Center. Hosted by the Division of Experience-Based Learning and Career Education, CEAS Tribunal and Lindner Career Services, the career fair aims to connect students and employers to meaningful opportunities.

This year’s spring career fair will take place Feb. 13-15. The Professional Career Fair, which is open to UC students from all fields of study, will take place Feb. 13. The technical career fair, which is intended for engineering and design students, will occur Feb. 14. The last day will consist of on-campus interviews for companies that wish to recruit students immediately.

Employers attending this year include Procter & Gamble, Macy’s, Fifth Third Bank, Great American Insurance, Luxottica and more. Cincinnati is home to more Fortune 500 companies per capita than New York or Chicago, so there are plenty of local opportunities for students who wish to gain hands-on experience as they continue their education.

Students seeking co-ops, internships and full-time jobs are encouraged to attend. Freshmen may not always get the first pick on jobs and internships, but professors often encourage first-year students to observe the fair so they can get a head start on their job search skills. Sophomores and juniors can find internships and co-ops to build experience while in college, and seniors might even find their first post-grad job at the career fair.

For students who plan on attending, here are some tips:

Dress professionally and practice your elevator speech. A good elevator speech should be a brief 30-second summary of your background, skills and accomplishments. Students should have a resume on hand. If you haven’t made one yet, be sure to do so.

Research the companies attending. Print out enough resumes for the companies you might be interested in learning more about.

Talk to smaller companies. They likely have fewer applicants, which often makes it easier to make a memorable first impression.

Don’t talk to your highest priority company first. Try talking to other companies first to break the ice as you prepare to introduce yourself to your most important contact.

Get on Handshake. Many of the jobs and internships you hear about at the fair can be found on Handshake, an online career-services platform. Be sure to create a profile if you haven’t done so already.

Send a thank-you note to the recruiter. Something as simple as a quick thank-you note goes a long way. It will make you stand out from the rest of applicants and could boost your chances of landing an interview.

For help, the career education department offers free resume critiques with walk-in hours on the seventh floor of Steger Hall. Lindner Career Services also offers resume critiques from 1 p.m.-4 p.m. Monday through Friday in Lindner 607.

There’s nothing to lose and everything to be gained by attending this year’s spring career fair, so be sure to take advantage of the opportunity. For more information, click or tap here to visit the CEAS Tribunal website, or look for the spring career fair page on Handshake.