Teddy bear

As you pick out gifts for your mom or friends this Valentine’s Day, consider buying from companies and organizations that give back to the community with each purchase. There are many ways to give back and help different organizations for free this Valentine’s Day. Here are some suggestions on how to do both.

(RED) Online Shop: The (RED) online shop offers a variety of products for purchase. They also have several collaborations with different companies including Alex and Ani, and Apple. Every purchase made from (RED) contributes to the Global Fund to Fight AIDS. (RED) partners with many of the world’s most popular brands, and these partnerships contribute up to 50 percent of profits from (RED)-branded goods and services to the Global Fund. The company’s online shop has a present for everyone. These products would make the perfect Valentine’s Day present this year for anyone looking to give back to the Global AIDS Fund.

One Hope Wine: This wine company allows you to contribute to several different organizations and enjoy a bottle of wine while doing so. One Hope Wine sells a variety of wines, each of which is designated to a different cause or organization. For every two cases of California chardonnay sold, for instance, One Hope sponsors a clinical trial for a woman with breast cancer. They also sell glitter bottles of wine. While these are more expensive that their regular bottles, these stunning pieces can be kept afterward and make for great collection pieces. Every four bottles sold of California Brut Sparkling Wine Rainbow Glitter Edition funds one hour of operational costs for the Trevor Project — an organization focused on suicide prevention for the LGBTQ youth community.

Make your own Valentines: Making your own valentines and delivering them to hospitals and shelters can have a strong impact on those who receive them. Many times, children in hospitals and people in homeless shelters need just one random act of kindness to be reminded that someone is thinking of them and cares about them. Buying different colored paper and some markers and stickers only costs a few dollars, and all the valentines you create will make someone’s day.

Bake cookies for a cause: Similar to making valentines for different shelters and organizations, baking cookies for hospitals, women’s shelters, homeless shelters or other nonprofit organizations can make a huge difference. Cookie mix is inexpensive and baking them is a fun way to give back. You can also taste the cookies before you deliver them. It’s a win-win situation.

Editor-in-Chief

Zielinski oversees TNR's editorial staff and has been with The News Record since 2016. Past internships: Cincinnati Enquirer, UC College of Arts & Sciences