Family weekend image

Cheer on the University of Cincinnati Bearcats when they take of the University of Central Florida Knights on Friday, Oct. 4 at 8 p.m. at Nippert Stadium in Cincinnati. 

The University of Cincinnati will host its annual family weekend Oct. 4-6. The university will hold various events all weekend to offer parents opportunities to spend time with families and experience college life at UC. Here are the top events happening on and around campus:

Friday, Oct. 4

CRC Climbing Wall

The Campus Recreation Center’s climbing wall will be open for visitors from 2-6 p.m. Friday and Saturday afternoon. The wall offers varying levels of difficulty for beginner or advanced climbers, no experience necessary.

Meet RA Teams

Residence Halls are inviting parents to come meet their student’s resident advisers and director teams. Head to your student’s residence hall from 4-5 p.m. Friday to learn more about their home away from home and the campus living experience.

Football vs. UCF

Cheer the Bearcats to victory in Nippert Stadium Friday night at 8 p.m. as they take on the UCF Knights. Tickets are available for purchase at gobearcats.com. Use the promo code “parents19” to get the family weekend discount.

Shoe Tailgate

Head over to Fifth Third Arena Friday afternoon to tailgate before kickoff. From 4-7:30 p.m., the Armory Bar will offer a large selection of domestic and craft beers and mixed drinks before the Bearcats face off against the UCF Knights. Admission is free and tickets to the game are not required for entry.

Movie Night

Grab some popcorn and watch the thrilling conclusion of your favorite Marvel heroes fight with Thanos in “Avengers: Endgame.” There will be a screening of the highly acclaimed blockbuster in the MainStreet Cinema 7:30 p.m. Friday. There will also be a screening of “Toy Story 4”at the same time and place Saturday evening.

Midnight Madness

UC Athletics is bringing back this event after 15 years to help celebrate the start of basketball season. Festivities begin at 11:30 p.m. after the football game Friday. Get your first look at the 2019 basketball teams and hear from coaches John Brannen and Michelle Clark-Heard. The event will be held in Fifth Third Arena and admission is free.

Saturday, Oct. 5

Bearcats Bootcamp

Start your morning off right by joining the Veterans Programs & Services staff at 8 a.m. for a mock military physical fitness test. All experience levels are welcome for this workout.

Donuts with the Deans

UC invites families to meet Dean of Students Dr. Juan Guardia and Assistant Dean of Students Daniel Cummins while enjoying some tasty donuts. The deans will be talking about their roles and their programs on Schneider Quad (between Swift Hall and Old Chem) from 9-11 a.m.

Family Fun on the Quad

The family weekend celebration continues with carnival games, tie-dye stations, rock painting, sand art, sidewalk chalk and more at Schneider Quad Saturday morning. These activities will take place during Donuts with the Deans, so stop by, grab a donut and mingle with your dean while you participate in the fun. At 10 a.m., the lawn games tournament will begin. Prizes will be awarded for the top teams and the winning family will get to take home the UC Family Cup. Be sure to register at the check in table if you think your family has what it takes to win.

UC at the Zoo

Enjoy discounted tickets for family weekend and visit the Cincinnati Zoo right near campus. Meet Fiona, the famous baby hippo and say hi to UC’s mascot Lucy the bearcat. Parking is free, or take advantage on the free transportation that will run continuously from the zoo’s main parking lot from CCM Circle, Turner Hall or Eden Hall from 3:30-9 p.m.

Bearcats BBQ

Meet new friends and have dinner with your family while enjoying a barbeque cookout from local favorite Alabama-Que. There will be music, raffles and games starting at 6 p.m. on Sheakley Lawn.

Sunday, Oct. 6

Bearcats Dash & Bash

The fourth annual Bearcat Dash will take place 8 a.m. Sunday morning on MainStreet. All proceeds will benefit UC’s Athletic Scholarship Fund and the Ohio Innocence Project at UC’s College of Law. Runners and walkers are welcome to participate in the 18.19k or 5k routes through campus and local historic districts. To register for the event, click here.

Lady Windermere’s Fan

Support the College-Conservatory of Music and buy tickets to see this semester’s production of Lady Windermere’s Fan at Patricia Corbett Theater at 2 p.m. This 19th century satirical play written by Oscar Wilde is a witty story about blackmail, infidelity and gender politics. To purchase tickets, click here.

College Game Day with the Bengals

Cheer on the Cincinnati Bengals at Paul Brown Stadium as they face the Arizona Cardinals at 1 p.m. Tickets can be purchased for as low as $20 when bought with a university email. The UC marching band will also be playing at half time.

For a full list of events taking place during Family Weekend, click here.

Chief Reporter

Smith covers student government as well as other campus organizations and events.