Clothespin wreath

Let’s be honest: we’re all looking for something to distract us from the mountains of final papers, group projects and studying that loom as finals week approaches. What better way to relax than crafting?

If you’re anything like me, the idea of DIY crafts sounds fun — at least until you realize how woefully unartistic you are. To prevent self-doubt and stress, here are some easy (and relatively painless) crafts to create, even if you’re terrible at art.

Paint chip banner

Supplies:

• Paint chips
  • Scissors
  • Holepunch
  • Yarn or twine

Instructions:

The supplies make it sound easy enough, right? First, take your paint chips (you can find these at most hardware and paint stores) and cut them into the shape of your choice. For spring, I recommend flowers — and if you celebrate Easter, an egg shape could make for the perfect holiday decoration.

Once all the paint chips are cut, punch a hole in the center-top of each chip. From there, string the chips on yarn or twine, then hang them for some much-needed spring cheer.

Clothespin wreath

Supplies:

• Clothespins (a lot of them)
  • Decoration tape/paint/markers
  • Craft ring
  • Scissors
  • Thick ribbon

Instructions:

Decorate your clothespins to your heart’s desire. If you don’t trust your drawing or painting abilities, decoration tape may be the easiest route. Once all your clothespins are decorated, clip them to the ring in whatever order you like.

Tie your ribbon at the top of the wreath. Be sure to leave a bit of room between the knot/bow and the wreath so you can easily hang it. I recommend hanging it on your door for fellow residents, friends and neighbors to enjoy. After all, what’s the point of spring cheer if you don’t share it?

Painted pillowcases

Supplies:

• Paint dotters
  • Decorative-size pillowcases
  • Decorative-size pillows

Instructions:

Remember when you were young, and your babysitters or parents pulled out the paint dotters? It was always a telltale sign that some masterpieces were about to be created.

Who says we have to outgrow these tools? Take a pillowcase and use the paint dotters to decorate it with any pattern you choose. For my artistically challenged folks, polka-dots never go out of style.

To get a good dot formation, I suggest using the “doors and windows” method. Zig-zags, stripes and “waves” are other good design alternatives. Once your pillowcase dries, fill it with a decorative-size pillow and display it proudly.

Have any other DIY craft ideas? Be sure to let us know.