You are the owner of this article.

Clifton works towards new bike paths and more

The Clifton area has plans to renovate and improve its bike paths, racks, stations and lanes in support of the increasing bicycling movement. 

As bicycling continues to pick up throughout the country as an alternative form of transportation, towns are adapting to its needs, and Cincinnati is no exception.

The Clifton Town Meeting (CTM), a residential community council, held an open house meeting Tuesday for discussion on the plans that will soon be made to improve the area’s bicycle infrastructure.

The group is currently taking suggestions from the community as a whole for improvement, whether that is from bolstering other cities or countries, or new ideas as a whole.

The term bicycling infrastructure dives further into the bike world than just paths and roads, and leads to new skills for children, organized group rides, education on cycling, map sharing and so much more. 

A bigger improvement planned includes increasing Cincy Red Bike stations, stations that are set up across the city costing low rates for anyone to use when in need of quick and convenient mobility. Red Bike is the only current bike-sharing program that can measure distance and count calories, according to their website.

Biking infrastructure is still catching up in the U.S. to the progression of other countries, including the Netherlands, Japan and Denmark. These countries are known for their stylish, sleek and modern architecture for bicycling, with structures created in protective, attractive and spacious layouts, according to bicycling.com.

Integration for cycling began in the late ’70s in Japan, and has since grown thanks to its ability to induce fitness and health, prevent an individual carbon footprint with climate change and save money from gas and parking.

Cincinnati’s personal growth with cycling aside from its progress in infrastructure includes the founding of Cincinnati Cycle Club, which has thousands of fans on Facebook due to its low cost memberships and history of long-existence.

Within the last year, Cincinnati also announced its plans to build a 42-mile “super highway” which will run through 32 out of 52 Cincinnati neighborhoods, according to Robin Corathers, founder of the nonprofit Groundworks Cincinnati/Mill Creek, in an article by the Cincinnati Enquirer.

Cincinnati’s CTM will continue to update its progress on cycling infrastructure through its Facebook page, as well as continuous meetings to find communal improvement for cyclists of all ages and interests.