Anne's Craft Corner (15 of 16)

Anne Simendinger, life and arts editor, shows off her spooky halloween crafts.

Halloween is two weeks away and fall temperatures are finally starting to arrive. What better way to prepare for the spooky holiday and embrace your inner child than some arts and crafts?

If you are saying to yourself, “I would need some Cromwell magic to make any kind of craft worth showcasing in my apartment,” fear not — there are no hidden tricks to these two crafts. They are easy, affordable and spooktastic.

Pumpkin Pom-Pom Garland

Anne's Craft Corner (7 of 16)

Supplies:

Anne's Craft Corner (1 of 16)

1 spool of orange yarn

1 spool of green yarn

1 spool of yarn to hang the pumpkins (color of your choice)

Scissors

Thin, hardback book (Children’s books work perfectly)

Instructions:

Anne's Craft Corner (2 of 16)

Step 1: Wrap the orange yarn around the book; don’t cut the yarn until after you have wrapped the book. In the image above, I wrapped the yarn about 50 times, but if you would like fuller pom-poms, 100 wraps would do the trick.

Anne's Craft Corner (3 of 16)

Step 2: Slide yarn off the book while keeping the loop shape. Cut four pieces of orange string, each 10 inches and tie the loop off into four sections. Be sure to double knot each tie, you don’t want your pumpkins falling apart. Leave the tails for hanging purposes.

Anne's Craft Corner (4 of 16)

Step 3: Cut in the middle of each section. You want the knotted part to be the middle of your pom-pom. This should give you four pumpkins. If your pumpkin is a little to shaggy, don’t be afraid to give it a haircut and cut off some of the excess with your scissors.

Anne's Craft Corner (5 of 16)

Step 4: Cut four pieces of green string, each 10 inches long. Tie them over your orange tail and double knot. For the stem, make a slip knot, just with the green string, on top of the double knot. Cut to desired length.

Anne's Craft Corner (6 of 16)

Step 5: Tie your pumpkins to the hanging yarn and hang to enjoy.

Candy Corn and Pumpkin Mason Jars

Supplies:

Anne's Craft Corner (8 of 16)
  • 2 mason jars
  • 1 spool of thick, sheer, orange ribbon
  • 1 spool of thick, sheer, yellow ribbon
  • 1 spool of thick, sheer, white ribbon
  • Cinnamon sticks
  • 1 spool of orange yarn
  • 1 spool of green yarn
  • Double sided tape
  • Electric votives (optional)

Instructions:

Anne's Craft Corner (14 of 16)

Candy Corn Jar

Step 1: Place double sided tape all over your jar. (I tried taping as I went the first time, and it was a special kind of Tim Burton-esque nightmare)

Anne's Craft Corner (9 of 16)

Step 2: Wrap white ribbon once around the top section of the jar.

Anne's Craft Corner (10 of 16)

Step 3: Wrap yellow ribbon once around the middle section of the jar. Don’t be afraid to overlap! It creates a more even flow and looks cleaner.

Anne's Craft Corner (11 of 16)

Step 4: Wrap orange ribbon around enough times to cover the bottom section of the jar.

Anne's Craft Corner (12 of 16)

Step 5: Place votive candle (electric, of course) inside the jar, seal, and tie a bow around the lid for a finishing touch. I used orange for my candy corn jar.

Pumpkin Jar

Step 1: Place double sided tape all over your jar. Keep the tape handy, you’ll need it again for this jar.

Anne's Craft Corner (13 of 16)

Step 2: Wrap the jar completely in orange ribbon. Tape as needed.

Step 3: Pick a cinnamon stick and hot glue it to the middle of the lid. Remember, pumpkin stems come in all shapes and sizes, so the length doesn’t matter.