Parking Guide

When you don’t live around UC, finding a place to park your car can be difficult, but there are a few places you are more likely to find free parking around the city than others. 

There are a lot of things to consider when driving to campus on a weekly basis — gas prices, car maintenance and, of course, parking.

Parking can be a real challenge around Clifton to those who are unfamiliar with the area, but there are a few tips to keep in mind when attempting to find a spot for your car.

1. Parking Passes 

Any student who is afraid of parallel parking may want to look into a parking pass. They allow access to one of many garages around campus, but typically at a very steep price.

Passes range from $198 per semester for garages further away from campus to $481 per semester for garages near CCM.

Parking passes are great for first- or second-year students who may have a little extra financial help from parents at home, but become expensive compared to other options close to campus.

2. Probasco Street and Riddle Road

Most commuters will recognize the name Probasco Street. It is directly across from campus, off of Clifton Avenue. The street is full of free street-parking options and, as long as you do not mind a trek up a fairly steep hill, you can usually find a spot there. 

Probasco Street is a very convenient street for anyone trying to get to the school of Design, Architecture, Art and Planning or McMicken College of Arts and Science. 

If there are absolutely no parking spots down Probasco Street, always check the side streets branching off from it. Marshall Avenue is a good alternative. There is a strip of parking in front of the apartment complex between Probasco Street and Riddle Road on Marshall that never seems to be completely filled up.

Which brings us to the next convenient street to park on – Riddle Road. This street starts at the intersection of Clifton Avenue and Martin Luther Kind Drive and, like Probasco Street, extends down a long hill. 

Riddle will almost always have a free parking spot open and it is only one block further away from campus than Probasco Street. Once again, in a pinch, check out the streets branching off of Riddle for parking.

3. Streets around Ludlow Avenue

A little bit further from campus, around Ludlow Avenue, there are a few streets typically good for free parking.

Telford Street, Thrall Street and Howell Avenue are normally easy places to find parking, but definitely require a longer walk than streets like Riddle or Probasco. However, UC’s free shuttle goes back and forth from this area throughout the day.

4. Free Parking on Weekends

Commuters who are part of student groups or come to campus on the weekends should definitely take advantage of free meter-parking options from 6 p.m. Saturday until 8 a.m. Monday. Clifton Avenue, McMillan Street and Calhoun Street are normally free during those times.

Tags