Whoopie Pie

Whoopie Pies are a tasty Valentine's treat for yourself and your loved ones.

On Valentine’s Day, people often take time to express their love and appreciation for significant others, friends and family. Some people gift teddy bears or cards, but others give sweets to those near and dear to them.

Students might think to purchase store-bought cookies or brownies for a quick and easy Valentine’s Day gift, but nothing says “I love you” like baking something from scratch. This especially rings true for students, who are frequently baking in second-rate kitchens without any measuring cups.

Below are some simple recipes that are sure to please any valentine:

Gobs

These chocolate and cream confections are also known as Whoopie Pies. They take a bit more effort than boxed brownies, but once they’re made, it’s hard to resist gobbling them all up. 

Ingredients: To make both the cake and the filling, you’ll need Crisco, sugar, two eggs, milk, water, vanilla extract, flour, cornstarch, baking soda, baking powder, cocoa, of salt and powdered sugar.

Cake:

• Preheat oven to 450 degrees and coat a baking sheet with nonstick spray
  • Mix 2 cups of sugar, 1/2 cup of Crisco, eggs, one cup of milk, boiling water and 1 teaspoon of vanilla.
  • Sift together flour, baking soda, baking powder and cocoa.
  • Mix dry and wet ingredients until uniform.
  • Use a spoon or cookie scoop to drop the dough onto the baking sheet.
  • Bake 5-7 minutes at 450 degrees.

Filling:

• Combine one cup of milk and two tablespoons of cornstarch in a pan. Cook until thick, then let the milk cool.
  • Once cool, add powdered sugar, one cup of Crisco, salt and 1 teaspoon of vanilla.
  • Beat together until creamy and fluffy.
  • Spread between two of the cake rounds.

Oredoughs

These cookies are satisfying and customizable. By using different types of Oreos (such as red velvet for Valentine’s Day or mint for St. Patrick’s Day), Oredoughs can be tailor-made for any holiday.

Ingredients: You’ll need one package of Oreos (customize colors here), 32 ounces of chocolate chip cookie dough and a tall glass of cold milk (optional).

• Coat a cooking sheet with nonstick spray and heat the oven to 350 degrees.
  • Completely cover each Oreo with a thin layer of cookie dough.
  • Place the uncooked Oredoughs in the oven for 15 minutes or until golden brown.
  • After they’ve cooled, share them with a loved one (this is where a tall glass of cold milk may come in handy).

Coconut-chocolate brownies

Coconut lovers, rejoice: These brownies provide the perfect mixture of chocolate and coconut. Plus, they’re heart-shaped.

Ingredients: This recipe requires melted butter, white sugar, two eggs, vanilla extract, unsweetened cocoa powder, flour, salt, baking powder and sweetened coconut flakes. 

• Grease and flour a pan (heart shaped or otherwise) and heat the oven to 350 degrees.
  • Combine all ingredients in a large bowl and mix until uniform. Pour into pan and cook for 25-30 minutes.
  • Let cool, cut and serve.

Tip: To really impress a valentine, serve with ice cream and drizzle both with chocolate sauce.