The Conjuring 3

The Conjuring: The Devil Made Me Do It (also known as The Conjuring 3) is a 2021 American supernatural horror film directed by Michael Chaves, with the screenplay by David Leslie Johnson-McGoldrick from a story by Johnson-McGoldrick and James Wan.

It’s the time of year again when leaves fall, chimneys burn and Halloween waits just around the corner. In preparation for the season of scares, here are the five must-watch horror movies that were released this year.

“The Conjuring 3: The Devil Made Me Do It” (July 2021)

This anticipated third entry of the Conjuring series debuted this past June. After the exorcism of eight-year-old David Glatzel that took place in the second movie, Arne Johnson – the boyfriend of Glatzel’s sister – becomes wrapped up in a murder case. However, his case is unusual: He is the first murderer in the U.S. to claim that the devil made him do it. Now, it’s up to the Warrens to find the truth. 

Available to watch on Amazon Prime.

“Spiral” (May 2021)

For those who prefer plot twists and gore, the “Saw” series checks all the grisly boxes. “Spiral,” the eighth installment in the series starring Chris Rock and Samuel L. Jackson, is set long after the death of John Kramer, the original antagonist of “Saw.” It centers around a corrupt police department and a copycat killer who wants to expand John Kramer’s vigilante methods beyond the general population and into the corrupt systems of the United States. 

Available to watch on Hulu (with STARZ) and Amazon Prime.

“Candyman” (August 2021)

The original “Candyman” movie, based on a legend much like that of Bloody Mary, debuted in 1992. However, this reboot includes the origin story of the supernatural killer. The legend starts in a town called Cabrini-Green in a now-gentrified Chicago. Anthony McCoy, an artist looking for a muse for his work, comes across the story of Helen Lyle, a woman who went on a killing spree and attempted to sacrifice a child. To pin down the cause, he speaks to a man named Burke who tells him the legend of the Candyman. McCoy uses the legend as an inspiration to his gallery. He realizes his mistake when people start turning up dead in strange ways after viewing his artwork. 

Available to watch on Amazon Prime.

“Escape Room 2: Tournament of Champions” (July 2021)

For those who have not seen the first movie, “Escape Room” is exactly what it sounds like: people trying to escape a series of rooms in challenges. However, much like the “Saw” series, the traps and challenges are no joke. Now, the last two survivors from the first “Escape Room” are back to track down the perpetrators of these horrible crimes and they must face another series of cruelly engineered traps. 

Available to watch on Amazon Prime.

“The Unholy” (April 2021)

Alice, a deaf-mute girl from Boston, shocks her town when she is suddenly able to hear and speak, and claims she has been visited by the Virgin Mary. In consequence, she attracts a heavy following of churchgoers who are astounded by her sudden abilities, but there turns out to be a dark truth behind them. Now, it’s up to the priests to investigate the matter and find out her secret.