Between Intervals

"Between Intervals" by Paige Williams is on display at the DAAP Meyers Gallery from January 18 thru March 7. Photo taken Monday January 22, 2018.

A former UC graduate student has stepped out of her comfort zone with a unique new exhibit, which is currently on view in the Meyers Gallery on campus.

The University of Cincinnati College of Design, Architecture, Art, and Planning (DAAP) galleries presents new work by artist Paige Williams, with the exhibit opening this past week in the Meyers Gallery. Williams’ exhibit, “Between Intervals,” will be displayed until March 7.

Williams said that because she has been working as an artist for so long, she wanted to “remain playful” and “open to new material,” leading the variety shown in “Between Intervals.” The most interesting aspect of a piece, she said, is the piece that comes after it.

DAAP student Lindsey Steelman said the “muted tones” of the exhibit made Williams’ work stand out versus previous exhibits shown in the gallery. The “Panels from the AIDS Memorial Quilt: The Names Project,” for instance, is one Steelman remembers as being much more colorful.

Williams, a painter who traditionally uses lots of color, said she chose to work in black and white to challenge herself for this exhibit.

Corinne Maurits, an art education graduate student at UC, said this exhibit stands out from others by the way it “interacts with the space.” The exhibit is a mix of paintings hung on the wall, to painted cement on the ground, to a large sculpture hanging from the wall. This diversity of display techniques makes her “look at the space differently,” Maurits said.

The grid has always been important to her work, Williams said. She is interested in the idea of repeating an action over and over again. Repetition played a large role in creating the sculpture in the exhibit, as Williams recalled repetitively cutting squares into the large piece of silver-colored material over a six-month time span.

Repetition also holds importance in her life in the forms of running, swimming and reading. One individual lap in the pool, short run or page of a book have little significance on their own, Williams said. It is only when an action is repeated that it amounts to something important. Williams says she sees the grid concept as putting things together “to make something greater” — an idea she applies to her art.

Steelman also noticed how the exhibit worked with the architecture of the gallery far better than past exhibits. She and Maurits both said the exhibit looks like it could “live [here]” in the gallery.

Williams, who received her master’s degree here at UC, said she is grateful for the opportunity for her work to be displayed in the Meyers Gallery, and has enjoyed being back on campus.