kinship

Ana England: Kinship explores the relationship between humanity and nature. The exhibit runs at the Cincinnati Art Museum through March 4, 2018. 

The Cincinnati Art Museum really knows how to light up the night by hosting “Art After Dark: Across the Universe,”featuring the exhibition “Ana England: Kinship.”

Art After Dark is held on the last Friday of every month, and includes live music, food, cocktails and after-hours access to the entire museum.

The special exhibition “Kinship” was featured this month. Artist Ana England explores the many links in the universe and draws inspiration from everything around her, creating beautiful and distinctive artwork that inspired those in attendance.

“In observing the curl of the galaxy in a fingerprint, or in contemplating that minute solar systems are embedded in our cells, England’s artworks evoke a sense of community that transcends race, nationality and species identification,” reads the press release for Kinship.

Cincinnati local Liz Brown was at the museum attending an alumni event held by her sorority. While viewing England’s work, Brown noted the unique features of the art.

“It wasn’t what I expected, but I’m glad I came to see it,” Brown said.

Barbra Corwin, a local artist from Clermont County, went to Art After Dark for the live music.  

The band featured this month was the three-member psychedelic band, Playfully Yours. They fit in perfectly with the theme of interconnectedness that “Kinship” conveys, using special lighting and sound effects to add auditory stimulus to the event.

Although Corwin originally was in attendance for the music, she became intrigued with England’s ideology portrayed in her artwork.

“I would like to see how the art is explained by science, philosophy, astronomy — all of it,” Corwin said. “I want to be able to see the beauty of what she does. She’s telling us something, and if we don’t hear it correctly, we will lose a lifetime of observation.”

If you are interested in gaining a new perspective on the universe and seeing connections you never thought possible, “Kinship”will remain on display until March 4, 2018.

News Editor

Keely Brown has been with The News Record since 2017 as staff reporter and news editor. This summer, she will be interning at Cincy Magazine.