UC Health Ice Rink

Grab a few friends and go to Fountain Square to enjoy the winter weather that we are finally having. If you get tired of skating at the outdoor rink, have no fear, as their ice bumper cars are also available to slide around in.

Whether you love to explore the great outdoors in the winter or stay inside in the warmth, Cincinnati has many activities for all to enjoy. From ice skating to visiting art exhibits, there’s something for everyone during this cold and snowy January weather. 

Outdoor activities 

Now until Feb. 21: UC Health Ice Rink 

Tired of online classes already and need a break? Grab a few friends and go to Fountain Square to enjoy the winter weather that we are finally having. If you get tired of skating at the outdoor rink, have no fear, as their ice bumper cars are also available to slide around in. You can purchase one of two different sessions: either both bumper cars and skating, or just skating.

Skating $10, Bumper cars and skating $15. Hours vary. Fountain Square, 38 Fountain Sq. Plz.

Jan. 14 – Feb. 28: Penguin Days at the Cincinnati Zoo

Start the New Year off with Penguin Days at the zoo. How many times will you get to say that you’ve witnessed a penguin parade? It must be below 50 degrees for the penguins to be able to march, so the windy, cold weather of the city in January will be perfect for the occasion.

Price varies. 11 a.m. and 2:30 p.m., Cincinnati Zoo & Botanical Garden, 3400 Vine St.

Now until Feb. 28: Polar Bear Express 

Would you like to try a new group activity to do with family and friends? The Polar Bear Express might be the option for you. In the summer you may have experienced a cruise through the Pedal Wagon before, but surely not the Polar Bear Express. On this two-hour pedal journey, you will have the opportunity to visit a variety of Cincinnati’s classic bars and restaurants. And if you are concerned about being cold, the Pedal Wagon is designed to keep you nice and warm. 

$25 per adult on weekends and $19 per adult on weekdays. Hours vary. Pedal Wagon, 1114 Bunker Alley.

Indoor activities

Now until Jan. 30: American Painting: The Eighties Revisited

In your spare time, take the chance to visit “a pivotal moment in twentieth century art” at the Cincinnati Art Museum There will be a variety of abstract paintings from different artists, including Sam Gilliam, Nancy Graves and Elizabeth Murray. According to the museum, this exhibit is reconstituting the landmark exhibition “American Painting: The Eighties” from New York University’s Grey Art Gallery exhibition from 1979.

Free. Hours vary by day. Cincinnati Art Museum, 953 Eden Park Dr.

Online exhibitions at the Cincinnati Art Museum 

For those who would prefer to stay in the comfort of their own homes, the Cincinnati Art Museum has allowed people to view online exhibitions while staying warm and cozy indoors. There are a variety of free online exhibitions that are available with the click of a button such as “The Art of Japan,” “Frida Khalo: Photographic Portraits” by Bernard Silberstein and “Mementos of Affection.”

Life & Arts Editor

Joí Dean started her career at The News Record as a contributor in 2019 and is now a campus reporter. In the future she aspires to become a fashion journalist.