American sign museum

Join author of “Lost Treasures of Cincinnati” Amy E. Brownlee at the American Sign Museum to learn all about the history and mysteries of Cincinnati.

Welcome back to campus, Bearcats. There is plenty to do this week, so whether it’s attending some Bearcats Welcome events around campus or heading into the city, celebrate the first week back with something fun.

Jan. 10: Bearcats Welcome: Taste of Cincinnati Grab-n-Go

Start your spring semester off right with this smattering of Cincinnati foods in the Steger Student Life Center. Staple Cincinnati foods from LaRosa’s, Skyline and Graeters will all be available. In addition, Bearcats Welcome prizes will be given to the first 100 students.

Free. 1-3 p.m. Steger Student Life Center 6th Floor. Information here.

Jan. 12: Bearcats Welcome: Game Night

Reconnect with friends, or make some new ones, at this game night featuring trivia. Snacks and other activities will be available for the duration of the event.

Free. 7-9 p.m. TUC400ABC. Information here.

Jan. 12: “Lost Treasures of Cincinnati”

Join author of “Lost Treasures of Cincinnati” Amy E. Brownlee at the American Sign Museum to learn about the history and mysteries of Cincinnati. The program will be held both in-person and virtually.

$15. 7 p.m. 1330 Monmouth Ave. Information here.

Jan. 14: “Starry Night” by Edvard Munch

This course, taught by professional artist Kevin McCarthy, teaches attendees about the expressionism and symbolism of modern art through painting their own versions of “Starry Night.” All materials included in ticket price.

$89. Noon-4 p.m. UC Victory Parkway Campus. Information and registration here.

Jan. 14: Wellness Through Art

This Gallery Chat at the Cincinnati Art Museum is all about finding wellness through art and features a meditation and mindfulness practice in the Buddhist gallery. A certified American Sign Language interpreter will be present at the event.

Free. 2-3 p.m. 953 Eden Park Dr. Information here.

Jan. 14: Local Poetry Class

This class on UC’s main campus is a spin-off of the Introduction to Poetry class. Attendants will listen to and discuss poems and take part in other poetry activities. Attendants are asked to wear a mask.

Free. 7-8:30 p.m. Teacher’s Dyer Complex, 2602 Clifton Ave., Room 511. Information here.

Jan. 15: Art on Vine

Head over to Rhinegeist Brewery to shop homemade goods and local art. The event will feature small business That Dam Jam, giving out samples and selling homemade specialty jam.

Free. Noon-7 p.m. 1910 Elm St. Information here.

Jan. 15: Chili Fest

Findlay Market is hosting its annual Chili Fest, featuring chili samples and other spicy foods around the market.

$5-$20. 10 a.m.-4 p.m. 1801 Race St. Information here.

Life and Arts Editor

Brianna Connock has been with The News Record since the fall of 2020 as a contributor, staff reporter and now as life and arts editor. She has previously interned as a correspondent with Gateway Journalism Review.