"Game of Thrones"

HBO releases the eighth season of its hit show “Game of Thrones” on Sunday, April 14, 2019.

“Game of Thrones” has become a cultural zeitgeist — the pinnacle watercooler topic and a social media phenomenon. Although HBO is keeping the details of its latest season close to the chest, here’s everything you need to know for the end.

The last season will see the White Walkers’ army of the dead battle Jon Snow and Daenerys Targaryen’s army of the living for the fate of Westeros, all the while Cersei Lannister schemes to keep her power in King’s Landing.

From the trailer, we can expect Winterfell to be at the crux of the story. Most of the main characters are gathering there, including the White Walkers and their undead dragon, and this culminates in a battle that will make “Battle of the Bastards” look like a schoolyard rumble. It is “expected to be the longest consecutive battle sequence ever committed to film,” Entertainment Weekly reported from the set.

The Night King, leader of the White Walkers, has a target he is chasing and “wants to kill,” according to actor Vladimir Furdik. It’s not yet clear who the target will be, but my money is on Bran Stark.

Away from Winterfell, Cersei Lannister is gathering the mercenary army, the Golden Company, at King’s Landing. Last season, Cersej told Jaime that Euron Greyjoy is escorting the Golden Company, with their elephants, to Westeros to help Cersei keep her throne from Daenerys.

The last time we saw Dany, Jon, Tyrion and company, they were sailing north toward Winterfell, with Jon and Dany hooking up on the ship. Meanwhile, Stark kids Sansa, Arya and Bran held down Winterfell with the northern lords and killed Littlefinger.

Jaime decided to finally leave his sister/lover Cersei (who may or may not be pregnant) after she broke her oath to send the Lannister army north to fight the White Walkers. Speaking of the White Walkers, the Night King — riding Dany’s resurrected dragon — tore down a section of the wall and brought his army into Westeros.

The last season of “Game of Thrones” is just six episodes. Seasons 1-6 had 10 episodes each, and season seven, fittingly, had seven episodes.

Stay tuned after the final episode, because there’s a behind-the-scenes documentary with the cast and crew about the creation and production of the show. The documentary centers on "the tears and triumphs involved in the challenge of bringing the fantasy world of Westeros to life," according to HBO. It will premiere May 26.

Our time in Westeros is not done just yet. HBO is producing a prequel set thousands of years before the start of “Game of Thrones,” centering around the White Walkers’ first coming to Westeros during the long night.

Season eight of “Game of Thrones” premieres April 14 on HBO.