CCM to present ‘Mack and Mabel’

• Updated
  • Comments

The very talented members of UC’s College-Conservatory of Music have, once again, brought their spring musical to the main stage.

On March 2, CCM will present “Mack and Mabel,” a bittersweet love story between legendary director Mack Sennett and Mabel Normand, his greatest star. This is the show’s first time being presented as a main stage production, and it will run through March 5.

This story explores both the lighter and darker side of the “Golden Age of Comedy.” It has not been a major production in the Queen City for over a decade and has a memorable score by Broadway master Jerry Herman, so it is sure to be a real treat for audience members.

It is Emily Fink’s, a third-year musical theatre student, first role as the title character here at CCM.

“I had had leads before back in high school, but this is the first title role in a while. I was fortunate enough last semester to be a principal role in a musical revue, which prepared me to take on the responsibility of playing a role like Mabel,” said Fink.

In this musical, Mack, an aging director of silent films, tells the story in a series of flashbacks. He recalls his first encounter with Mabel, a feisty barista, who he turns into a silent film star. After a sizzling affair with Mack, Mabel leaves to act for a rival director.

Audiences will be able to watch as Mack and Mabel struggle to find their places in the changing industry. Both will experience their own triumphs and failures along the way.

“People can expect, as always, a dazzling production quality. The Technical Design and Production Department will amaze the audience with the magnitude and beauty of its set, costumes and lighting,” said Fink. ”People can also expect a whip-smart story with a lot of heart set in America’s booming film industry.”

Aubrey Berg directs this production of “Mack and Mabel,” with choreography from Pattie James and musical direction by CCM graduate student Evan Roider.

“The score highlights Herman’s tremendous talent for melody — brassy two-steps, voluptuous ballads and a tap number that rivals those of the early 20th century,” Roider said. “Audiences can expect an old fashioned score that will have them humming as they leave the theater.”

It seems that the music of this performance is what first comes to mind for everyone involved in the production. Fink even says it is what she loves most about this musical.

“This music is the kind that makes you want to cry and dance and jump up from your seat. I also really enjoy how this is a classic musical: it’s got tap, big production numbers and a quick pacing to it,” said Fink.

If you love the arts, good music and need a night out, then come out and see what the members of this musical have to show for their eight weeks of endless hard work.

“The audiences can expect that the CCM musical theatre students will give their all in this production. We love what we do, and it shows on the stage,” said Fink.

Tags