Currito

Currito is one of the many dining options available near the University of Cincinnati campus.

There is a ton of food around campus to eat, and for the most part, the options are affordable. Some of these restaurants are major chains, while others can only be found in the Clifton area. Many of these restaurants serve alcohol and specials such as happy hour.

At the end of West McMillan Street, Thai Express offers authentic Thai food at cheap prices. This hole-in-the-wall restaurant can easily be overlooked, because it’s not as flashy as its newer counterparts. Thai Express has a wide variety of dish options, most of which are under $20.

Ludlow’s Proud Rooster is another great Clifton find. This hidden gem serves tasty and classic breakfast food. The menu offers items including homemade chicken and waffles, pancakes, omelets and goetta, just to name a few. What makes this restaurant truly special is the laid-back atmosphere and its vintage vibe. Be sure to bring your cash, because they do not accept credit cards. Proud Rooster is a community favorite and is well worth the visit.

Across the street is Whole Bowl. The walk-up counter only offers one menu item, but it’s sure to fill you up. The vegetarian bowl includes rice, beans, avocado, cheese, sour cream and the restaurant’s secret “Tali” sauce. It’s just $6 for a big bowl.

Drunken Tacos on the corner of W. McMillan is open every day from noon to midnight, offering affordable tacos and Mexican-style food. Ranging from tacos and burritos to amazing queso and guacamole, Drunken Tacos has something for everyone. Margarita pitchers available for $22, and all tacos are $3 for lunch.

Drunken Bento, a close relative of Drunken Tacos, is open 12 hours per day. Offering cheap sushi, Japanese and American beers and amazing lunch specials, this place is a must-try. The News Record previously voted Drunken Bento the “Best of UC” for sushi.

French Fry Heaven is open from 11 a.m.-11 p.m. every day. They offer everything: poutine, loaded chili fries, loaded pizza fries — you name it. In addition, there are a ton of sauces to choose from if you’re looking for something special to dip your fries in.

Despite some similarities to Chipotle, Currito is a globally-inspired chain with a lot more options. From smoothies to curried chickpea and tikka masala burritos, this place is both healthy and delicious. They have something for everyone, so swing by and give Currito a try.

One of the most popular restaurants near campus is Keystone Bar and Grill. Known for its macaroni and cheese, this place is a must-try. It’s open until midnight weekdays and until 2:30 on weekends. With a great happy hour and a Mac Shack next door specifically dedicated to making quick mac n’ cheese, you can find a little bit of everything here. On Mondays, Keystone and Mac Shack offer a special where you can order any style of mac and cheese at half price with the purchase of a drink.

Life and Arts Editor

Briana Rice is a journalism and digital media double-major. She was the life and arts editor at The News Record for the 2018-2019 academic year. She is also a digital producer at FOX19 and has interned with the Cincinnati Enquirer.