Anne's craft corner (3 of 4)

Anne Simendinger, life and arts editor, shows off her Valentine's Day crafts.

While you can show appreciation to your loved ones at any time, it’s always extra fun to send something via snail mail on Valentine’s Day. There’s plenty of adorable greeting cards that you can buy, but why not make it a little more personal? Grab a friend, put on a rom-com, order pizza and have a crafting night making DIY valentines. If you need some inspiration for easy designs, check out this month’s craft corner how-to below.

Tic-Tac-Toe Valentine

Supplies:

• One piece of letter size cardstock (color of your choice) – This will be your base.
  • One piece of contrasting cardstock (color/pattern of your choice) – This will be your accent.
  • Scissors
  • Washi tape (Optional)
  • Tape
  • Markers (one or two colors of your choice)
  • Heart stickers (Optional)

Step 1: Take the base cardstock and fold it in half.

Step 2: Cut two pieces of washi tape, then cut the two in half so the tic-tac-toe board will be thin and not too overwhelming on the card. Place them in a tic-tac-toe fashion. 

Step 3: Draw a block letter X on the backside of your accent cardstock. Cut and trace. Cut them out.

Step 4: Place and tape the Xs on the tic-tac-toe board. You can decide if the Xs or hearts win. 

Step 5: If you are using stickers, place the heart stickers in the spots unoccupied with a big heart in the bottom right corner of the board. 

Step 6: Write the greeting of your choosing. 

Step 7: Write the inside message and send.

Sprinkling Valentines

Supplies:

• One piece of letter size cardstock (color of your choice)
  • Markers (one or two of your choice)
  • Heart stickers 

Step 1: Fold the cardstock in half.

Step 2: Draw a saltshaker from the top left corner to about 1/3 of the way down the card.

Step 3: Write a greeting of your choosing “falling” out of the saltshaker. 

Step 4: Place stickers sporadically coming out of the saltshaker to the bottom of the card. 

Step 5: Write the inside message and send. 

Whole lotta’ hearts Valentine

Supplies:

• Two pieces of contrasting cardstock (color/pattern of your choice) – These will be your accent.
  • Scissors
  • Tape
  • Markers (one or two of your choice)

Step 1: Fold the base cardstock in half. 

Step 2: Draw 2/3 of a heart from the bottom right hand corner taking up about 2/3 of the page. 

Step 3: Cut the heart out.

Step 4: Use the cutout to trace a heart on your contrasting cardstock. Align the right straight edges.

Step 5: Cut out heart, then tape it to the inside of the card. Align it with the cutout. 

Step 6: Cut out smaller hearts on the other contrasting cardstock and tape around heart cutout. 

Step 7: Write a greeting of your choice.

Step 8: Write the inside message and send. 

Life and Arts Editor

Anne Simendinger has been with The News Record since 2017 as a staff reporter, digital producer, and life and arts editor. She is the Cincinnati senior editor for BroadwayWorld and the Scripps Howard Communication Intern for Ensemble Theatre Cincinnati.