Haikyuu

Inspired by a championship match he sees on television, junior high schooler Hinata joins a volleyball club and begins training, despite his short height. The best-selling original manga for this series won the Shogakukan Manga Award for shonen manga in 2016.

Despite the pandemic pushing release dates or halting production altogether, last year was still a year for the books in the anime industry. From wicked spirits to unique tales of unsanctioned love to action-packed scenes of favorite characters of the past, these are five of the greatest animes produced in 2020. 

Keep Your Hands off Eizouken

Based on the manga series of the same name, "Eizouken" has taken viewers by storm. The story consists of a high schooler, Midori, and two of her friends, Sayaka and Tsubame. The anime follows their journey to establish an anime club at their school and how they come to make their own animated film. What follows is a jarringly realistic depiction of the pros and cons of getting into the animation business. The use of humor and a youthful naivete makes viewers fall in love with the characters and the anime entirely. Audiences have observed the natural way "Eizoken" gives nods to legends of the anime industry, giving it a meta sense of creativity. Finally, the score is one of the best of any anime this year, including the rap duo chelmico and producer Oorutaichi. Altogether, this makes for a hilarious and memorable anime.

Beastars 

In a world of anthropomorphic animals, "Beastars" follows Legoshi, a benevolent lupine, who crosses paths with Haru, a promiscuous dwarf rabbit. Legoshi starts to develop compacted feelings for Haru. Still, being a carnivore, his primal senses force him to question whether these feelings are his basic hunt and kill instincts or something more. From its depiction of how society functions by portraying a caste system of carnivores and herbivores, to a truly inspired sense of composition, "Beastars" is nothing short of a masterpiece from an animation and technical perspective.

Jujutsu Kaisen 

Another series based on the manga, "Jujutsu Kaisen" is a story that involves cursed spirits and their exorcism. The main character is high school student Yujj Itadori, who ends up being a vessel for an old and very powerful cursed spirit through a series of happenstance. To help eradicate the cursed spirit inside him, he joins Jujutsu Tech, a school in Tokyo where he learns how to battle cursed spirits and makes a few friends along the way. The anime is eerily similar to Naruto because it has a very strong and overpowered teacher who has taken in three students and goes on missions together. It's an action-packed anime with scenes that rival the greats like Dragon Ball and Naruto. Considering the show is only halfway through, with more episodes to come, it goes to show just how much potential it has. 

Attack on Titan: The Final Season 

It's been seven years since "Attack on Titan's" first season aired, and December marked the beginning of the end for the beloved anime series. Since the anime will remain canon, viewers will experience more beloved characters' death, and there will be more twists and turns in the story. With only four episodes released, it has already jumped to the top of the ratings due to the show's hype before release. The manga series hasn't ended either, but they both can deliver a stellar ending to what has been a long and emotionally draining journey. "Attack on Titan" will go down as one of the greatest anime ever made.  

Haikyuu: To the Top Part 2

Fans waited a few extra months because of the pandemic but were finally able to see the conclusion of Karasuno v. Inarizaki, the flightless crows v. the ultimate challengers. This was the first time Haikyuu had been split into two parts, but it was filled with emotion and many characters finally coming into their own. The manga ended in July, and we are nearing the end of the anime as well, so it was about time we got to see some of the side characters grow. However, the ultimate development was shown by the two main characters, Kageyama Tobio and Hinata Shoyo. These two were on fire the entire game and truly showed what it means to believe in your team.