UC Soccer Extends Winning Streak - The News Record: Sports

November 29, 2015

UC Soccer Extends Winning Streak

Posted: Sunday, September 16, 2012 9:13 pm

The University of Cincinnati men’s soccer team extended its winning streak to three games, with a 1-0 win over Towson Friday and a 1-0 overtime victory against Gardner-Webb University Sunday at Gettler Stadium.

Friday’s match remained scoreless through the first 45 minutes, with Towson goalkeeper, Felix Petermann, barely managing to keep UC out of the scoring column.

In the 19th minute, Cole DeNormandie brought the ball down in the box, turned past his man and blasted a shot off Petermann’s chest that forced the goalie well off of his line to make the save.

UC broke the deadlock in the 75th minute when senior midfielder Zach Patterson, wearing the captain’s armband, dribbled in and bent a 25-yard effort over Petermann for the game winner.

It was Patterson’s first-career goal for UC.

UC left it late once again against Gardener-Webb Sunday, requiring overtime to grab a 1-0 victory.

Freshman Jacob Martinez scored his first career goal in the 97th minute to seal the victory for UC, which looked the better side throughout the game.

UC dominated possession for the majority of the match and outshot Gardner-Webb 20-13, but GWU goalkeeper Scott Krotee made 13 saves and posted an outstanding individual effort to keep the Bulldogs in the match.

Gardner-Webb had its best chance of the game in the 25th minute when CJ Moore volleyed a shot past UC goalkeeper Taylor Hafling only to see it ricochet off the post before being cleared away.

In the 32nd minute, a strong buildup along the right flank saw Matt Remaley send a dangerous cross into the box, which John Managa redirected to the far post. But Krotee just got his fingers to it, pushing the shot away.

UC threatened again in the 59th minute when Peter Jannelli curled a shot destined for the upper right corner of the goal, but Krotee denied the Bearcats one more time.

Martinez — playing in just his second game of the season after being sidelined with an illness for nearly two months — finally beat Krotee in the 98th minute by curling a left-footed shot into the net for the game winner.

The Bearcats open Big East play next weekend, traveling to Pittsburgh University Saturday, Sept. 22. Kickoff is scheduled for 7 p.m.