Men's Soccer Hands Pittsburgh First Loss - The News Record: Sports

September 3, 2015

Men's Soccer Hands Pittsburgh First Loss

Posted: Sunday, September 23, 2012 8:30 pm

The University of Cincinnati men’s soccer team opened its Big East campaign with a 1-0 win over the University of Pittsburgh Saturday Sept. 22.

UC freshman forward John Manga gave the Bearcats

(4-4-1, 1-0-0 Big East) the lead in the 43rd minute, scoring his first career goal for UC. Pitt’s (6-1-2, 0-1-0) goalkeeper Lee Johnston saved Matt Remaley’s initial shot but Manga hit the rebound off the keeper and into the net.

The goal handed Pitt its first loss of the season and stretched UC’s win streak to three. The game marked the first time since 2010 UC kept three consecutive clean sheets.

UC held on to the lead in the second half despite being tested by severe weather conditions and a potent Pittsburgh attack. Bearcat’s goalkeeper Taylor Hafling made seven saves and, along with the back four, kept the Panthers scoreless.

“We had a great team effort tonight,” said UC head coach Hylton Dayes. “It is tough to get a win on the road in the Big East. Congrats to John Manga on his first career goal and credit to Taylor Hafling and our back four for the clean sheet. Pitt is an explosive team that can score goals, so to get the shutout was a credit to those guys.”

UC will return to action Tuesday at Gettler Stadium against the Cleveland State University Vikings in a non-conference clash. Kickoff is set for 7 p.m.

Archive of e-Editions