Women's Soccer Beats St. John's, Falls to Syracuse - The News Record: Sports

November 29, 2015

Women's Soccer Beats St. John's, Falls to Syracuse

Posted: Sunday, September 23, 2012 8:22 pm

The University of Cincinnati women’s soccer team continued Big East play this weekend at Gettler stadium, winning Friday before losing Sunday. 

The Bearcats beat St. John’s University 1-0 Friday night in double overtime. Freshman forward Laura Rose scored with two seconds left in the second overtime to lead UC to its first Big East win this season.

St. John’s outshot the Bearcats 14-6 in the first half, but UC flipped the script at halftime, outshooting St. John’s 29-6 the rest of the way.

Despite an abundance of shots, the match remained scoreless throughout regulation and the first overtime. Rose’s goal in the waning seconds of the game sealed the Bearcats’ victory. Rose leads the team with five goals on the season.

UC lost its second game of the weekend, falling to Syracuse 1-0.

Syracuse started the match aggressively, taking its first shot in the third minute, and continued to put pressure on the Bearcats throughout the match.

It didn’t take long for that pressure to pay off when Syracuse freshman forward Maya Pitts scored in the fifth minute.

UC’s head coach Michelle Salmon said the team was prepared for early attacks from the Orange.

“We talked about how Syracuse scores primarily most of their goals in the first fifteen minutes,” Salmon said. “We came out flat, Syracuse punished us for that and then we were chasing the game.”

The Bearcats took 13 shots on goal, 10 in the second half, but none resulted in a goal. UC also had two corner kicks it failed to capitalize on.

“We need to rebound [from this],” Salmon said. “We need to rise up.”

The Bearcats will take on the University of South Florida at 7:30 p.m. Friday in Tampa, Fla.