Women's Soccer Suffers Loss to Irish - The News Record: Sports

May 24, 2015

Women's Soccer Suffers Loss to Irish

Posted: Sunday, September 16, 2012 8:54 pm | Updated: 7:53 pm, Tue Oct 2, 2012.

The University of Cincinnati women’s soccer team dropped its first two Big East conference games of the season, falling to the DePaul Blue Demons 1-0 Friday and dropping a 7-0 decision against at Notre Dame Sunday.

Although UC outshot DePaul 8-4 in the first half, with Jazmine Rhodes and Laura Rose taking multiple shots on goal for the Bearcats, both teams went into halftime tied 0-0.

Rose had the Bearcat’s best scoring opportunity of the half in the 20th minute when her shot from the right deflected off the crossbar.  

The Bearcat’s play in the first half pleased UC head coach Michelle Salmon.

“In the first half, that was some of the best soccer we’ve played,” Salmon said. But the Blue Demons played better in the second half.

In the 88th minute, DePaul freshman midfielder Brianna Ryce captured a loose ball after a corner kick and ripped a shot off the crossbar and in for the game-winning goal.

The Bearcats left several scoring opportunities on the field, out-shooting the Blue Demons 18-14. Rhodes and Rose each had a match-high four shots.

UC’s luck did not improve Sunday. Notre Dame dominated the Bearcats at Alumni Stadium in South Bend, Ind.

UC trailed 2-0 after the first 45 minutes of play, with Notre Dame goals from midfielders Elizabeth Tucker and Mandy Laddish.

The floodgates opened in the second half and Notre Dame added five more goals to push the final score to 7-0. Notre Dame drastically outshot UC 35-9.

Only freshman forward Laura Rose took more than one shot attempt in the game and only Katie Greer’s second half shot managed to force a save out of Notre Dame goalkeeper Sarah Voigt.

Cincinnati sophomore goalkeeper Kristina Utley finished the afternoon with eight saves — six of them coming in the second half.

The Bearcats will return to action Friday, Sept. 21 in Gettler Stadium against St. John’s at 7 p.m.

e-Edition

Archive of e-Editions