Cronin, UC land four-star forward - The News Record: Men's Basketball

August 28, 2014
default avatar
Welcome to the site! Login or Signup below.
|
||
Logout|My Dashboard

Cronin, UC land four-star forward

Posted: Friday, September 20, 2013 12:45 pm

University of Cincinnati men’s basketball head coach Mick Cronin landed another standout prospect for UC’s 2014 recruiting class Tuesday.

UC beat out Rutgers, Wake Forrest, Temple Miami (Fla.) and former Big East Conference foes Georgetown, Providence, Seton Hall and St. John’s for the commitment of four-star recruit Quadri Moore.

The 6-foot-9-inch New Jersey product (Linden High School, Linden) can play at either the four or five position. But he will likely be employed as a forward, with Cincinnati already having signed Coreontae DeBerry, a 6-foot-9-inch, 270-pound post player from Hutchinson (Kan.) Community College. UC has two more scholarships available for their recruiting class of 2014.

Moore, rated the 100th best player in the class of 2014 by Scout.com and 103rd by Rivals.com, averaged 14.6 points, 5.7 rebounds and 1.1 blocked shotsmper game in 2012 as a junior at Linden High. During the state tournament, Moore averaged 18 points and 12 rebounds per game.

Moore reportedly narrowed down his choice to Cincinnati and Seton Hall some time ago, and struggled in recent days in deciding between the two programs.

In the end, Moore’s relationship with Cronin and UC assistant coach Darren Savino, a New Jersey Native himself, swayed his decision toward UC.

“I went through all the pros and cons with my family at a family meeting,” Moore told The New Jersey Star-Ledger in a phone call on Tuesday. “It basically came down to what school I felt more comfortable at and which coach I felt more comfortable with.”

Gary Clark, a 6-foot-7-inch forward from Clayton, N.C., is expected to announce his decision this week. UC is among his remaining options.

Welcome to The News Record, the thrice-weekly independent student news organization serving the University of Cincinnati.