Cumberland - UC vs. Tulane

UC guard Jarron Cumberland shoots in the first half of UC's win over Tulane University on Wednesday, Jan. 2, 2019.

The University of Cincinnati men’s basketball team rang in the new year with a 93-61 win over Tulane University Wednesday evening at Fifth Third Arena.

UC improves to 12-2, while Tulane falls to 4-9. The victory marked the Bearcats’ 1,800th win in program history.

Tulane was without their star player, junior guard Ray Ona Embo, who has been sidelined with a knee injury all season. He averaged 10.1 points per game one year ago.

UC junior guard Jarron Cumberland finished with a game-high 22 points to go along with seven rebounds and five assists.

Senior point guard Justin Jenifer poured in a career-high 18 points and five assists. Fellow senior guard Cane Broome, who started in place of sophomore Keith Williams, added 17 points on 6-of-7 shooting.

The Bearcats led 52-28 at halftime behind 15 points from Cumberland and 13 from Jenifer.

UC men’s basketball returns to action Saturday, Jan. 5, with a matchup with East Carolina University on the road in Greenville, North Carolina. Tip-off is scheduled for 1 p.m. CBS Sports Network and 700 WLW will have coverage.

The next home game is Saturday, Jan. 12, against the University of Connecticut Huskies. Tip-off is set for 8 p.m.