Marvin Lewis

Cincinnati Bengals head coach Marvin Lewis on the sidelines on January 4, 2015, at Lucas Oil Stadium in Indianapolis.

The Marvin Lewis era has come to an end in Cincinnati.

Lewis, the Cincinnati Bengals head coach since the 2003 season, will not return next year, according to the Cincinnati Enquirer’s Paul Dehner Jr.

Lewis finishes his stint in Cincinnati with a 131-122-3 record, including 0-7 in playoff games. He was named the Associated Press Coach of the Year in 2009 after leading the Bengals to a 10-6 record after going 4-11-1 in 2008.

“I want to thank the Bengals’ organization, the fans and the city of Cincinnati for their support,” Lewis said in a team news release. “I regret I haven’t been able to provide them with the No. 1 goal of being world champions.”

“Mike [Brown] and I decided it’s time,” Lewis added.

Bengals owner Mike Brown, who has held the position since 1991, acknowledged the need for a fresh start within the organization.

“I am very fond of Marvin and will miss working with him,” Brown said in the news release. “But it is time to turn the page and look toward the next chapter for our organization, and we are excited about what the future holds for the team and our fans”

The Bengals will begin the search for a new head coach immediately and plan to interview multiple candidates. The process is expected to last several weeks.