Rajiv Karani and Fabian Jesuthan - 2/8/15

UC students Rajiv Karani and Fabian Jesuthan create Free the Slaves to educate students about modern-day slavery and join the movement of fighting against it.

The University of Cincinnati’s Indian Student Association (ISA) and the UC chapter of Free the Slaves celebrated the Week of Global Action with a film screening of Kailash Satyarthi’s documentary, “The Price of Free,” Nov. 14.

The Week of Global Action’s goal is to spread awareness about the 100 Million campaign — one of the nonprofits launched by Kailash Satyarthi to advocate for the end of child slavery and trafficking worldwide. During this week, millions of young people around the world are encouraged to meet with local government officials and decision-makers to ask how they plan to ensure the freedom, safety and education of children around the globe.

The film follows Satyarthi through his years of activism to end injustices against child workers in India. With the help of Satyarthi’s team at Bachpan Bachao Andolan (BBA), more than 80,000 children have been rescued from child slavery. Satyarthi’s efforts won him a Nobel Peace Prize in 2014.

Smriti Jha, president of ISA at UC, said the event differed from those the group usually holds. The organization aims to provide a network for Indian students and a chance for others to understand and experience Indian culture.

“ISA holds many events to celebrate Indian festivals, like the fall festival of Utsav," said Mustafa Bandukwala, vice president of the ISA.

The association also hosts Umang, a spring festival that commemorates the harvest festivals of India, said Jha.

Angeline Wellington, a fourth-year psychology student, attended the screening of the documentary to learn more about how to aid the 100 Million campaign. Wellington said she left the screening feeling humbled and inspired to make a change.

“I have always had a passion for volunteering and was drawn to this event because of that and my interest in India,” Wellington said.

Free the Slaves is an international organization dedicated to raising awareness about issues concerning modern-day slavery. The UC chapter hosts several fundraising and informational events throughout the year to unite like-minded students in the fight to end modern practices of slavery worldwide.

This is the first time the two organizations have been involved in the Week of Global Action on campus. Jha stressed the event’s significance, saying many people are unaware how severe issues related to child slavery are in other parts of the world. By spreading awareness, the 100 Million campaign hopes to mobilize 100 million people to help more than 100 million children who cannot advocate for themselves.

“The Price of Free” will be released to the public on YouTube Nov. 27.