family=

Council Approves Application - The News Record: News

February 7, 2016

Council Approves Application

Posted: Wednesday, January 16, 2013 11:06 pm

To further assist the development and business growth in the Uptown area, Cincinnati City Council approved an application Wednesday to create an entertainment district on Short Vine.  

Since city council approved the Uptown Consortium’s application, 15 more businesses can apply for a liquor license, said Brad Thomas, a representative for Uptown Consortium. The new district will be known as the Short Vine Community Entertainment District.  

The amount of liquor licenses available to any given community depends on its population — one license for every 2,000 residents. Creating entertainment districts allows for more licenses to be obtained, Thomas said.  

“The benefits to Corryville are more jobs, more businesses, increased entertainment destinations,” Thomas said.

The project would bring in additional income revenue for the city and additional sales tax revenues for Hamilton County.  

Thomas said two businesses — Island Frydays and Turophilia Quesadillas — expressed an interest in expanding and attaining a liquor license. Owners of popular food carts in the area told the Uptown Consortium and Cincinnati Councilmember Laure Quinlivan they are looking for “brick and mortar” locations to expand their businesses, and could apply for liquor licenses.

Transforming Short Vine into an entertainment district saves money for businesses with liquor licenses, as it would reduce license renewal costs, Thomas said. Quinlivan noted there would not be a change in the application process for liquor licenses.

“Still, everyone who applies has to go through the state just like they normally would to get their liquor licenses. It just makes it more affordable,” Quinlivan said.   

Thomas said several other successful entertainment districts have been created in Cincinnati neighborhoods, including Northside, Over-the-Rhine, The Banks, Pleasant Ridge, Price Hill and Madisonville.  

“This continuous development along with the Uptown transit district, the streetcar, will really help tie together our urban core and make it a united economic unit,” Thomas said.

Featured Events

Chinese New Year Celebration