Top UC officials respond to racist sketch - The News Record: Campus

August 2, 2015

Top UC officials respond to racist sketch

Posted: Thursday, September 19, 2013 11:28 am

High-ranking University of Cincinnati officials released the following statement in response to a racist cartoon targeting leaders in the College of Arts and Sciences that was posted on campus this week:

Dear UC Community,

The University of Cincinnati is committed to maintaining an environment where open, vigorous debate and free speech can occur. Free speech is an essential prerequisite of academic freedom. The University is equally committed to the Principles of a Just Community, including a commitment to practice civility as we engage in discourse.

Recently, an anonymous caricature about the administration of the McMicken College of Arts & Sciences has crossed the boundaries of civility on this campus. Although disagreement and debate lie at the heart of scholarly inquiry, this crude attack is an affront to the principle of justice that is central to a learning environment offering everyone an equal opportunity to contribute and flourish.

Please join us in reaffirming our collective commitment to civil discourse and respectful behavior by extending to everyone in this community the same respect, cooperation and caring that we, ourselves, expect.

Santa J. Ono, President

Beverly Davenport, Senior Vice President for Academic Affairs & Provost

Bleuzette Marshall, Interim Chief Diversity Officer

Richard Miller, Chair of Faculty Senate

Ayca Mazman, President of Graduate Student Government Association

Joe Blizzard, President of Student Government

Council of Deans

This response appears as sent by the University of Cincinnati Office of the President.  

1 comment:

• mcorps posted at 1:22 pm on Tue, Sep 24, 2013.

mcorps Posts: 2

Would someone explain to me how an admittedly crude cartoon has any racial content. Racism is a kind of ultimate accusation in our society and the misuse of the term makes it lose any real meaning. Those in academia should have higher standards in their use of rhetoric --- oh, and thicker, much thicker skins.

Featured Events