Racist sketch circulates in A&S college - The News Record: Campus

May 29, 2015

Racist sketch circulates in A&S college

Posted: Wednesday, September 18, 2013 11:38 pm | Updated: 11:52 pm, Wed Sep 18, 2013.

Ronald Jackson, the University of Cincinnati College of Arts and Sciences dean, and Carol Tonge, A&S Recruitment and Retention Initiatives assistant dean, were derogatorily depicted in a cartoon posted around campus and circulated among faculty members in an email this week.

“When we see cartoon images, caricatures or any discourse for that matter that is designed to demean, dismiss, or devalue difference, we all ought to be outraged,” Jackson told The News Record in a statement. “No single individual ought to stand alone in a just community.”

The detailed sketch depicted Jackson and Tonge as the king and queen of A&S, and suggested Tonge’s recent appointment represented racial bias in the college when hiring new administrators.

“We’re not really sure where it came from or who put it out there, but it’s something that’s not acceptable at all,” said student body president Joe Blizzard.

Copies of the cartoon were posted in campus buildings sometime on Monday night and were removed by Tuesday morning.

“This isn’t just about principle and the UC community. It’s personal. It’s about our office,” said A&S Assistant Dean Tara Warden in an email to staff members.

“I am hurt for my colleague and friend [Carol Tonge] with whom I’ve worked for 10 years, amazed at her strength and resilience, grateful for her continued dedication to continue the fight,” she said.

Of the 444 total A&S faculty members, which includes professors, associate professors, assistant professors and instructors, 320 are white, 25 are black, 18 are Hispanic and two are Indian, according to an American Association of University Professors 2012-13 portfolio of A&S.

“We must not be afraid to name racism for what it is — a form of incivility,” Jackson said. “Its complexities often paralyze people to the extent that they cannot speak productively about it, unless they are wiling to be vulnerable.”

The cartoon has been confiscated and the university is expected to release a statement about it. The statement was not available as of press time.

“It is derogatory in nature toward two members of the administration of the College of Arts and Sciences and it’s something that is not tolerated or condoned by the university,” Blizzard said.

2 comments:

• DR posted at 1:16 pm on Mon, Oct 14, 2013.

DR Posts: 1

I did not see the sketch, and it most likely was insensitive, immature, and offensive but this is still a free country right?

What is happening to freedom of speach? Even a "press organization" has a rules of conduct, (see #4), that limits a persons ability to think the way they want to think, or express the way they want to express. What if "I" feel that this very rule is degrading to me?

The perpetrators may be idiots, but do they not have the right to be idiots?

• DiamondPearl posted at 10:23 pm on Thu, Sep 19, 2013.

DiamondPearl Posts: 1

I wish to thank Ronald Jackson for speaking out on the racist cartoonist article that circulated through out the campus of the UC, which attacked a colleague and a administrator. I hope that action will be handled swiftly when discovered the perpetrator.

Every day of my life when I go to work, I look forward to educating my students to become better students and to treat people with respect. While educating, I remind them that bullying is unacceptable. Having recently lost a student who was Hispanic and who came to me because some of her peers was bullying her. I took swift action and spent most of the day with my supervisor addressing the concern of bullying. The aggressors were disciplined but I felt it was not enough. The victim was my only Hispanic student and I lost her when her mother decided to transfer her to Lakota West.

Born and raised by deaf parents and growing up with deaf siblings as the middle child, I had to defend my family with the name calling, being teased, and being bullied by those who did not understand deafness. Neither did I, but what I did understand were, that I was not going to allow anyone to bullied my family, and not speak up about it.

Like Jackson, I spoke up for the Hispanic student and my family that bullying in any way shape or form was unacceptable behavior, and for as long as I stand before my students, my family, and people I associate with, I will defend them with every breathe that God gives me.

I am so tired of the racist behavior that continues to plague in our schools, jobs, our community, social events and across the nation. Since, President Barack Obama became President the racist behavior toward him has ignited across the nation, from Congress to our front door. The behavior has become so common that we have forgotten who we really are, the children of God. Regardless, if you are an atheist. It doesn't matter. The truth of the matter is that as long as we demonstrate hate directly or indirect, every human being is responsible for their behavior. Every one of us has 5 senses we were born with, but remember God created us to be of color people, and no one should ever forget it.

Featured Events