Professor: avoid purchasing fertility drugs online - The News Record: Campus

August 4, 2015

Professor: avoid purchasing fertility drugs online

Posted: Sunday, September 22, 2013 8:38 pm

A University of Cincinnati researcher is warning people against purchasing fertility drugs online because they might actually have reverse effects.

Michael Thomas, UC medical professor and infertility specialist, said people should be wary, just as anyone should with any Internet purchase.

“There are more scams than legitimate [vendors],” Thomas said.

The main danger he warns about in purchasing fertility drugs online, aside from being scammed, is potency. Since the FDA does not regulate most online vendors, there is no way of telling how potent the drugs will be and how a consumer’s body could react to them.

Consumers look to online markets for fertility drugs to save money. Fertility treatments are already expensive, costing an average of $2,000 to $4,000 per In Vitro Fertilization cycle.

An IVF cycle involves removing eggs from a female’s ovaries, fertilizing them outside of her body and implanting the zygote in her utuerus.

Medication makes up about half the cost of fertility treatments, Thomas said. The prices of fertility drugs fluctuate every day. Doctors can give the best recommendation of where to buy fertility drugs.

Thomas recommends purchasing fertility drugs from local or mail order pharmacies in the United States that are FDA approved. There are only three companies that are allowed to market fertility drugs in the US: Serono, Merck and Serring.

The future of fertility treatment is egg freezing, Thomas said. In this process, women can freeze their eggs for future use. This process is useful for younger women who may not be ready to have children yet, since their eggs tend to be less fertile when they get older, Thomas said.

1 comment:

• lacrossemom14 posted at 11:40 pm on Tue, Sep 24, 2013.

lacrossemom14 Posts: 5

Sorry, but isn't that obvious? Personally I wouldnt feel comfortable taking any kind of drug that wasnt prescribed by a doctor and taken under a pharmacists supervision. That kind of recklessness is what led to pill mills and prescription drug abuse that people like Governor Kasich are working hard to combat.

Featured Events