Presidential Candidate Brings Platform to Campus - The News Record: News

July 7, 2015

Presidential Candidate Brings Platform to Campus

Posted: Sunday, October 7, 2012 5:40 pm

Libertarian presidential candidate Gary Johnson made a campaign stop at the University of Cincinnati Friday.  

Johnson, a former Republican Gov. of New Mexico, warned against voting for either Republicans or the Democrats this election — mocking the rhetoric that this is the most important election of our time — and described both parties as leading the country down a similar path. 

“We’re going to find ourselves with a heightened police state,” Johnson said.   “We’re going to find ourselves in a continued state of military intervention and we’re going to find ourselves continuing to borrow and spend money in a way that is absolutely not sustainable.”

Johnson spent most of his speech addressing the flaws of a two-party political system, and reiterated multiple times the similarities between both parties. 

The National Review Online rated Johnson as the best job creator of any of the candidates — with an 11.6 percent job-growth rate during his tenure in New Mexico. In response, Johnson reiterated his belief that the private sector creates jobs.

“[I] did not create a single job as governor of New Mexico,” he said. “I appointed all the boards and commissions. I controlled all the rules and regulations, and I want to tell you rules and regulations got better on a daily basis — with just a basis on common sense.”

Johnson’s philosophy of job creation is rooted in a faith in the private sector, and his method of enforcing rules and regulations keep private business at ease because they have certainty, he said. 

Johnson criticized the unsustainable nature of the country’s current economic policies — a charge he faulted to both Democrats and Republicans. 

“The biggest threat to our national security is the fact that we borrow and print money to the tune of 43 cents out of every dollar we spend,” Johnson said. 

On foreign policy, Johnson said both Republicans and Democrats have different rhetoric, but act the same in office — claiming President Obama has been as militaristic as any president. 

America has a lot of enemies, mostly because of our military interventions, Johnson said.

“When the drone flies overhead and hits the target, it doesn’t just hit the target,” he said. “It kills a lot of innocent people and as a result of that, friends, family, business associates, they vow revenge against the United States.”

The American Civil Liberties Union (ACLU) released a “report card” that awarded Johnson with the most “liberty torches” of any presidential candidate this election. The liberty torches were based on candidates’ track record with issues of civil liberties, he said. 

Jordan Page, a singer and songwriter who has played at more than 50 political rallies kicked off the event by playing a handful of “protest” songs, as he called them.

Guest speakers included Jim Berns, the libertarian candidate for Ohio’s first congressional district, and Rob Ryan, state representative for the 28th district of Ohio. 

“It’s very important to raise awareness about the Libertarian platform,” Ryan said.

In the back of the Great Hall in the Tangeman University Center, seven booths were set up where attendees could register to vote, sign petitions and talk to Libertarian candidates. Students signed petitions for the legalization of marijuana, and read pamphlets on strategies to spread the libertarian message. 

“The turnout could have been a little better, but the energy during the speech and everything was really good I felt,” said Brendan Carr, a third-year architecture student. 

Approximately 150 people gathered in TUC to hear Johnson speak. 

Johnson advocated spreading the libertarian message, and addressed the importance of voting for the candidate you believe in, regardless of their chances.   

“So here we arrive now at an election with this whole notion of wasted votes,” Johnson said. “What is more of a wasted vote than voting for somebody that you don’t believe in?”

6 comments:

• Dan Kimble posted at 10:21 am on Thu, Oct 11, 2012.

Dan Kimble Posts: 3

I watched the first DEBATE between President Romney and ex-president obama, and the outcome was clear. I am no longer so worried about this election and the fate of America. I think we are in good hands with President Romney…...phew!

The DEBATE was so one sided, such a command performance of President Romney, that the former president obama was finally… FINALLY ….. shown for what it is only fair and accurate to describe him as…. the imposter.

That said, it has been simply JAW DROPPING to witness the overwhelming forces in the media which have been arrayed against President Romney these past many, many months. The propaganda effort to keep obama, and the leftist/democrat ruling structure, in power has been, simply, shocking to behold by  someone who was raised in America,  who grew up expecting there to be a free, truth seeking press!

As just ONE example, we have seen with our own eyes the pretzel like twisting of the Libyan disaster story by the former obama administration into something entirely different from what the real story is. Further, we have witnessed the apt named, ‘lap dog” media, join in with the former administration’s propaganda effort to turn this story of disaster and tragic, unnecessary deaths of remarkable, superlative Americans into a pretend, fabricated scenario, which has been preposterous from the day we first heard it.

Ironically, surely the lap dog, leftist media has been a significant contributor to the former president obama’s demise, as for the past near four years, they have shielded this man from the arrows of any incoming criticisms what-so-ever.

Now, here we get to the crux of the matter:

Effectively, with the first debate, the WHOLE American people saw that the petulant, self-absorbed, churlish Emperor has no clothes !..... And, now, all the King’s horses, and all the King’s men (and all the King’s panderers and courtiers in the leftist media) will never be able to put Humpty Dumpty together again!

The false narrative building up former president obama into something he is not, something he never was, is over….. and, the false narrative, the phony disparagement, the outright slander, depicting President Romney as something he is not, something he never was, is also over, never to be able to be revived as believable narrative again.

The twin sisters of the leftist media and the propagandists in the former obama administration worked relentlessly to cloak President Romney in a false narrative, to hide from the American public just what a stellar man President Romney truly is. These twin sisters are relentless and ruthless propagandists. But, they are only  EFFECTIVE propagandists when they MONOPOLIZE the information getting out to the bulk of the American public.

As a result of the first debate,  that monopoly over information, that monopoly of propaganda controlled by the twin sisters of former obama administration and the main stream, leftist media, was BROKEN…...

Going forward, the false narrative they have dished out to gullible Americans has been swept away, and most Americans will now be openly receptive to hear just who President Romney really is…..the stellar leader America so desperately needs at this time, one of the greatest crisis America has ever faced.

And,  at the same time, the citizens have seen former president obama for who he truly is, the Emperor who has been shielded by everyone around him for the past four years, the Emperor whose total failure on virtually all fronts has been hidden, whose failures have been shoved under the rug, away from the light of the truth.

As a result of the first debate, solely through what only can be described as his HEROIC efforts, President Romney SMASHED the monopoly over information which the propagandists in the former obama administration and their slavering allies in the leftist, main stream media had wielded like a club against him.
    This election is now turning. The truth is being revealed…... We may not be singing “Ding dong the witch is dead”...yet…. but it is coming….  it is coming.

That said, with the stakes for this election being the very survival of America as we have known it, Americans of traditional values, who believe America MUST remain a Great Nation, we must stand up, step forward, and work diligently to get out everyone we know and make sure they vote for President Romney!

....We simply cannot leave ANYTHING to chance…..no STONE can be UNTURNED…. no VOTER can be LEFT UNCHALLENGED as to what is at stake…. no NON-VOTER who can be persuaded to vote for President Romney CAN BE LEFT to his own APATHY!

Ohio is the key state…...with Ohio President Romney can begin turn America around….without Ohio, there will be a second obama administration, and a descent into the horror of economic disaster, as the DEBT BOMB explodes, and America fails.

• Dan Kimble posted at 9:14 pm on Wed, Oct 10, 2012.

Dan Kimble Posts: 3

obama admin is coming out with new rules on fracking in December......thats how they get shale oil and gas.

Take a guess what obama's new regs on shale oil and gas will do to this bright spot.

• Dan Kimble posted at 9:13 pm on Wed, Oct 10, 2012.

Dan Kimble Posts: 3

That said, with the stakes for this election being the very survival of America as we have known it, Americans of traditional values, who believe America MUST remain a Great Nation, we must stand up, step forward, and work diligently to get out everyone we know and make sure they vote for President Romney!....

We simply cannot leave ANYTHING to chance…..no STONE can be UNTURNED…. no VOTER can be LEFT UNCHALLENGED as to what is at stake…. no NON-VOTER who can be persuaded to vote for President Romney CAN BE LEFT to his own APATHY!

• Jeri Cho posted at 12:03 pm on Wed, Oct 10, 2012.

Jeri Cho Posts: 2

Jobs numbers are going to improve regardless of who is president.

The increasing shale oil production guarantees it.

Romney has nut-all to do with it. All he'll do is gut retirement plans, consumer protections, and health care.

• Jeri Cho posted at 12:02 pm on Wed, Oct 10, 2012.

Jeri Cho Posts: 2

Romney MA Governor --- 800 vetoes.

800 vetoes overriden by the legislature.

The legislature ran MA, not Romney.

• Brad L posted at 4:44 pm on Mon, Oct 8, 2012.

Brad L Posts: 2

Only 150? We counted over 450! http://imgur.com/uUBwO - We even had people standing.

Featured Events