Megabus Stop Coming to Campus - The News Record: News

April 26, 2015

Megabus Stop Coming to Campus

Posted: Sunday, January 6, 2013 8:05 pm | Updated: 8:12 pm, Sun Jan 6, 2013.

A Mega Bus stop will be added at the University of Cincinnati Jan. 9.

The stop will be available at no cost to the university and will be located on the corner of West University Avenue and Commons Way.  Tickets can be purchased by students through the Mega Bus website.

Members of the UC Undergraduate Student Government Association worked to add the bus stop to campus in 2011 to make traveling more convenient for UC students, said Lane Hart, student body president.

“The idea behind was to make it a lot easier for students to have access to [travel] and so that students who are from out of town can return home more often even if they don’t have a car,” Hart said.

SG surveyed students to gauge how many would use the Mega Bus service if a stop were made available on campus.  Positive feedback from students fueled the initiative.

The initiative was taken to UC’s Planning, Design and Construction department, which worked directly with Mega Bus to make the stop possible.

“We had to contact [Mega Bus] and try to convince them to add a stop on their route between downtown Cincinnati and Chicago,” said Wes Munzel, planner for the Planning, Design and Construction department. “It was a good match because [Mega Bus] is seeking opportunities on college campuses.”

Mega Bus makes stops at 13 other universities around the country, said Mike Alvich, vice president of market and public relations for Mega Bus.

The new bus stop at UC will allow students to travel to Chicago, Columbus and Atlanta. 

Passengers can check up to 50 pounds of luggage at no cost, free Wi-Fi and power outlets are available on every bus, and fares start as low as one dollar.  Bus tickets are available online up to four months in advance.

“There are plenty of choices for students at the university, as well as the faculty and families of the students, to really go and enjoy the country … at unbelievably low prices,” Alvich said.

Featured Events