With Help of UC Economic Center, Riverfront Planners Presented With Esteemed Award - The News Record: News

August 31, 2015

With Help of UC Economic Center, Riverfront Planners Presented With Esteemed Award

Posted: Wednesday, January 16, 2013 10:59 pm

A prestigious award recently given to the Cincinnati Central Riverfront plan partly reflected the work of the University of Cincinnati.

The riverfront plan received recognition for its planning by receiving a National Planning Award from the American Planning Association (APA).

The Banks — including city, county and developer’s investments — is projected to have a $556 million impact on Hamilton County’s economy.

The plan will convert 195 acres of unused land between the Ohio River and Cincinnati’s Central Business District into a new park.

John Deatrick, The Banks project executive, said the award and any other recognition will help attract more funding.

“Cincinnati has been trying to figure out what to do with the riverfront for 200 years, because it floods,” Deatrick said.

The county and city council hired the Urban Design Associates (UDA).

The Ohio, Kentucky and Indiana Regional Council of Governments hired Parsons Brinckerhoff to work on designs for the Fort Washington Way corridor.

“That’s how the riverfront plan was born,” Deatrick said. “It took over 200 years to develop, but we think it will. It’s nothing that anyone couldn’t have done without 3,000 best friends.”

The UC Economics Center completed the economic study and served as an impartial third-party reviewer.

UC was hired to analyze the economic impact of The Banks project on Cincinnati and Hamilton County.

The UC study found the project substantially affected the area because of the massive amounts of construction. The operation of the businesses and residential establishments will have an even greater effect.

The redevelopment of the riverfront is part of The Banks, which included two sports stadiums, a museum, restaurants and major transportation improvements.

Featured Events