UC Student Found Dead on Highway - The News Record: News

September 1, 2015

UC Student Found Dead on Highway

Posted: Sunday, February 24, 2013 11:12 pm

A student from the University of Cincinnati was found dead on the highway early Sunday morning.

Cincinnati Police received reports of a body on I-71 north at approximately 2:04 a.m.

Officers found the body of Christopher Walker, a third-year architecture student, near the 3.3-mile post on the northbound side of the highway, said CPD Officer Dennis Zucker.

Police believe Walker attempted to cross I-71 and was struck by a vehicle. The driver did not stop after the accident.

Police identified Lauren Balint, 21, as the driver of the vehicle.

Balint was driving northbound in an Oldsmobile Intrigue when she struck Walker, according to a press release from CPD .

Walker was pronounced dead at the scene.

The highway was shut down for approximately two hours, according to police reports.

Police questioned Balint, and charges are pending.

“This is just another blow to the UC community,” said Lane Hart, UC student body president. “My thoughts go out to Christopher Walker’s family and friends. UC experienced another tragic loss of life early this morning and we must once again stand to support our Bearcat family through this difficult time.”

Walker graduated from Bellefontaine High School, approximately 60 miles northwest of Columbus, in 2010.

He received a $1,000 scholarship from the American Institute of Architects to attend the College of Design, Architecture, Art and Planning.

The accident is still under investigation.

Walker is the sixth UC student to die during the 2012-13 academic year.

The News Record will continue to update this story as more information becomes available.

Featured Events