Owner of IGA On Ludlow Avenue Plans to Open Upscale Grocery Store - The News Record: News

September 3, 2015

Owner of IGA On Ludlow Avenue Plans to Open Upscale Grocery Store

Posted: Sunday, January 6, 2013 7:43 pm

While construction has yet to begin, the owner of the IGA on Ludlow Avenue plans to open a market of taste and class in the Gaslight District.

After a long process filled with financial hurdles, Steve Goessling received a $4.1-million construction loan to begin building an IGA named the Gaslight Market.

“There were a number of factors that delayed the project,” said Tom Lohre, press representative for Goessling. “The depression we went into, the housing collapse, and the fact that the banks weren’t lending to anybody.”

The City of Cincinnati Economic Development Department approved a 10-year, $550,000 loan for Goessling’s store.

Goessling plans for his grocery store to be an “exciting destination market that really dovetails to the upscale residents of Clifton and the rather more sophisticated taste of the student body,” Lohre said.

Goessling owns four properties and has innovative plans for the Gaslight Market.

“He’s really planning to make this an urban model for grocery stores,” Lohre said.

If the model of the store is successful, Goessling plans to open an additional store in the heart of Cincinnati.

The Gaslight Market will be the best of boutique grocery stores and will cater to both students and Clifton residents, Lohre said.

“It’ll have prepared foods, fine meats, fine seafood, an extensive cheese selection, and an extensive beer and wine selection.”

Goessling aims to focus more on specialty items and to keep taste-cultured Clifton residents from having to go to the Hyde Park Kroger.

“[Goessling] wants it to be an exciting experience so urban professionals will spend their grocery list there,” said Lohre.

The market will bring another opportunity for employment to the residents of Clifton.

In September, Goessling said his store will employ approximately 120 people — full and part-time positions.

Lohre said the store will have to have impeccable service and the employees will need to be personable and exhibit impeccable social skills.

No firm date for the start of construction has been set.

“It’s going to happen, but it’s not going to happen on any sort of timeline,” Lohre said. “Mr. Goessling is trying to get it done as fast as possible.”

Featured Events