October 9, 2015

Giving Tree Benefits Freestore Foodbank

Posted: Tuesday, December 4, 2012 10:38 pm

University of Cincinnati students donated 118 canned goods for the inaugural Giving Tree program Tuesday inside the UC bookstore.

Hosted by Sigma Chi fraternity and the Tangeman University Center, the canned goods will be donated to the Freestore Foodbank, a local food provider that donates more than 19 million pounds of food annually to 20 counties in Ohio, Kentucky and Indiana.  

TUC Bookstore gave 20 away prizes — including an iPod Shuffle, iPod Nano and iTunes gift cards — to encourage students to donate.

Chad Ackerman, UC’s Apple campus representative, member of Sigma Chi and fourth-year digital design student, helped coordinate the event.

“We’re able to give prizes because Christmas is the season of giving. People give to us, and we give back — everyone’s happy,” Ackerman said.

After students dropped off the cans, they were able to choose three drawings, or paper ornaments, from a Christmas tree. Each ornament had a number, several of which corresponded to certain prizes.

Kate Menkhaus, a fourth-year member of Pi Beta Phi, spoke highly of Greek life and its commitment to service in the community.

“That’s one great thing about UC Greek life — we all help each other. When one event goes on, we try to go for support,”

Menkhaus stressed the importance of not only giving to each other, but to the community as well.

“It’s the holidays and it’s good to give back. We’re all about giving presents to friends, but it also has to do with the community,” she said.

This article has been revised to correct inaccuracies.

Archive of e-Editions