'Wreck-It Ralph' Captures Video Game Nostalgia - The News Record: Arts And Entertainment

May 4, 2015

'Wreck-It Ralph' Captures Video Game Nostalgia

Posted: Sunday, November 4, 2012 4:35 pm | Updated: 4:39 pm, Sun Nov 4, 2012.

“Wreck-it-Ralph,” Disney’s newest animated adventure, takes the audience on a journey through the circuits of a video game world, featuring cameos from beloved video game characters like Pac-Man and Bowser.

Arcade villain Ralph (voiced by John C. Reilly) is determined to break out of his bad guy role and win a gold medal — the ultimate prize only a hero can obtain.

Friendly for kids and adults, “Wreck-it-Ralph” puts an odd spin on the classic bad guy role. Ralph, no longer satisfied with living in the dump, wants to be included in the fun a hero has after the arcade closes down for the night.

In order to do this Ralph must leave his game and pose as the hero of another.

To keep Ralph’s game from being shut down permanently, Felix, the hero of the game, must venture out and bring Ralph back.

“Wreck-it-Ralph” features a wonderful array of stars, bringing the two-dimensional characters to life.  Alongside Reilly is Jack McBrayer (“30 Rock”), Jane Lynch (“Glee”), Sarah Silverman (“The Sarah Silverman Program”) and Alan Tudyk (“Dodgeball”).

The attention to detail is incredible, with Easter eggs hidden in every scene to satisfy even the most relentless arcade junkies.

“Wreck-It-Ralph” reminisces about the time when a quarter functioned as an all day pass into your favorite video game.

Fans of classic games will marvel at the nostalgia of waiting next to a machine all day to play “Street Fighter,” while the console generation might wonder where its controllers and headsets are.

“Wreck-it-Ralph” will entertain anyone with a passion for video games and fun-loving cartoons with its perfect balance of retro and modernism.

e-Edition

Archive of e-Editions

Featured Events