family=

In a whirl of jazz - The News Record: Home

February 10, 2016

In a whirl of jazz

Posted: Wednesday, October 18, 2006 12:00 am

Sounds of jazz will flow through the Corbett Auditorium this Sunday, Oct. 22.

The University of Cincinnati's College-Conservatory of Music, in conjunction with Friends of CCM, a volunteer group of performing arts supporters, will host their jazz benefit for the seventh year in a row, ""In a Whirl of Jazz 7.""

The proceeds raised from this event go to Friends of CCM to be distributed amongst the jazz department in the form of scholarships and programs.

Last year the event raised approximately $45,000 for the department. Katie Rankin, CCM's public relations officer, described ""In a Whirl of Jazz"" as being ""very successful."" This year, the event looks hopeful, Rankin said. She said she anticipates that the proceeds will surpass last year's numbers and top $50,000.

""In a Whirl of Jazz"" began seven years ago in honor of William Lawless Jones. Jones was a professor of sociology at UC.

Karen Tully, the associate director of Development and External Relations at CCM, said, ""All of our guest jazz artists teach master classes."" This concert gives students a chance to be taught by a prominent member of their musical field as well as performing with them on stage.

The person chosen as this year's guest artist was Arturo Sandoval, a renowned classical musician and a fluent jazz trumpet and flugelhorn player. Tully said that he had always been on their list of performers to play ""In a Whirl of Jazz"" and it just so happened that this year's concert date coincided with his availability.

Sandoval has worked with artists such as Celine Dion, Frank Sinatra, Tony Bennett and Patti Labelle. He also has won four Grammy awards, six Billboard awards and an Emmy.

CCM's premier big band, Jazz Ensemble, is also scheduled to perform at the event on Sunday. This ensemble can play a diverse range of music that includes Latin, historical swing, bebop, fusion and avant-garde. It also has recently recorded an album entitled Serenade in Blue with Sea Breeze Records.

Rick VanMatre is the director of jazz studies and directs the Jazz Ensemble. VanMatre plays jazz saxophone and has received such honors as the Ernest N. Glover ""Outstanding Teacher"" award for his work at CCM and the National Association of Jazz Educators has named him ""Ohio Educator of the Year.""

Dayton jazz club owner, Jerry Gillotti of Gilly's Jazz Club, is scheduled to be honored at the performance for his contributions to regional jazz culture.

Aside from Gilly's, Gillotti owns Dayton's Wing-AM (1410) and is a DJ at the station as well.

This concert is creating quite a buzz, Tully said, and described there being a ""sudden surge of interest in the concert."" Tully said he anticipates that this concert will come close to, if not selling out.

""In a Whirl of Jazz 7"" is scheduled to be held on Sunday, Oct. 22 at 5 p.m. in the Corbett Auditorium at the College-Conservatory of Music.

Tickets are priced at $100 for admission into the concert and post reception, $30 for the concert only and $10 for students.

Archive of e-Editions

Rookwood Pottery